Youth Foundation for Development, Education & Leadership (YouthhubAfrica) is a non-profit organization founded in 2011. YouthhubAfrica is a platform for young people in Africa involved in social change to interact, learn and collaborate in new, creative and easy ways. It was registered in Nigeria with the CAC in 2014. YHA is a youth advocacy and policy-oriented organization based in Abuja, Nigeria, but programming into Africa and beyond.
Applications are invited for:
Title: Basic Education Media Fellowship 2022
- We are pleased to launch its call for applications from journalists and media personnel in Nigeria to join the 2022 Cohort of the “Basic Education Media Fellowship”.
- The Basic Education Media Fellowship is envisioned to celebrate, upskill and support media practitioners for qualitative and sustained reportage of basic education issues in Nigeria.
- It aims to deepen participants’ knowledge, expand media networks and coverage of all aspects of basic education, thereby increasing public awareness on basic education issues and ultimately secure state and non-state support towards addressing basic education challenges in Nigeria.
- The initiative will recognise and reward existing media work on making the legal framework for basic education more responsive to the current gaps in service delivery and address key challenges in the areas of quality, access, and systems strengthening in Nigeria. It will galvanize media activities towards the need for Nigeria to extend free, compulsory, quality and safe education up to Senior Secondary School in alignment with SDG4 outcome target
- It will also seek to make free basic and secondary education and adequate financing for education, a politico-electoral issue with the intent to get the various political actors to make Basic education in Nigeria part of their mandates and that of their political parties.
- The Fellowship would be implemented in three parts, heralded by a competitive award phase (National Media Competition on Basic Education Reporting) poised to recognize and celebrate media practitioners who have produced and published pieces on basic education over a period.
- Journalists with at least two years experience in a public or private media house are encouraged to apply.
- Applications from freelance journalists are also encouraged.
- Applicants must be between ages 18 and 40 at the time of application.
- Fellows must be passionate and committed to reporting basic education stories in Nigeria with attention to girl child issues and have the capacity to develop at least 6 stories around these.
- Prospective applicants – if chosen- will be available to attend a Mandatory Onboarding session which will take place on a date that will be conveyed to successful applicants.
- Prospective Applicants should submit a Letter of Recommendation or Reference from the Editor-in-Chief of their Media organization.
- Participate in a six month fellowship.
- Participate in a 3 day retreat and capacity building program
- Be awarded with $1,000 for their out-of-pocket expenses to produce stories that will deepen thoughts, cause conversations and insightful commentaries on the state of the Basic Education in Nigeria.
- Develop at least six media pieces within the duration of the fellowship.
- Be provided finalists with relevant updates, data, and connections to relevant stakeholders.
- Work alongside organizations in the Right to Education Coalition.
Application Closing Date
15th May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates are expected to upload the following:
- A motivation letter on why they want to be one of the fellows. This should also include at least two links to previous reportorial works and mention of the platform(s) where they will be publishing or broadcasting their work if accepted for the fellowship;
- A copy of their most recent curriculum vitae;
- A letter of Recommendation/Reference from the Media Organization where they work
- A 250-word pitch on an intended story idea they wish to pursue if chosen for the fellowship Worth
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.