Enugu State University of Science and Technology was originally founded as Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH) on 30th July, 1980 by Law No. 7 of 1980 enacted by the then Anambra State House of Assembly. It is the first State University of Science and Technology in Nigeria.
The Vision of the University is to be an outstanding, internationally respected University with strong commitment to rigorous scholarship that promotes service to humanity through quality teaching, research and community social responsibility.
The Mission of the University is to produce graduates that can favorably compete with their counterparts all over the world, and to promote scholarship, especially in the areas of Science, Management and Technology, thereby ensuring the development of quality manpower that will utilize technology for the service of the society.
The Governing Council of Enugu State University of Science and Technology hereby invites applications for the position of:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
- In accordance with the provisions of the 2004 Revised Laws of Enugu State of Nigeria at its Chapter 74 of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology as amended;
- Council hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and distinguished scholars of the rank of Professor with cognate experience in University teaching, research and administration for the post.
- The Vice-Chancellor of Enugu State University of Science and Technology is the Chief Executive and the Academic Head of the University.
- He/She is Chairman of Senate, Congregation and member of the Governing Council.
- He/she is responsible to Council in matters of policy articulation and implementation in the areas of finance, property/facilities, general administration and good governance of the institution.
- The Vice-Chancellor is also responsible to Senate for the admission of students, administration of academic programmes as well as students and staff discipline in accordance with extant statutes, ordinances, laws and regulations of the University.
The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor must be a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic, industrial or government service experience. Specifically the candidate shall be expected to be:
- A person of character and courage without criminal record(s);
- A professor of good standing who understands the contemporary demands of leadership of University;
- A person with wide academic and administrative experience in the University, government and industry, and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to the University;
- A successful scholar with Ph.D or Medical Fellowship in his chosen discipline and well rooted in the finest academic traditions;
- A person of demonstrable fund raising skills that can attract both local and international fund to supplement government subventions;
- A person that has other experiences outside the University and ensures that meritocracy is followed at all times;
- A person that recognizes and respects gender sensitivity;
- A person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry and ICT driven society.
- A person of courage, but humane, who can take decisive action on the merit of facts and principles and not on the basis of sentiments or pressures from individuals and groups;
- A person that can link quality research to industry so as to promote innovation;
- A person that possesses high reputation nationally and internationally and be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities through his or her track records;
- A person with strong leadership qualities so as to successfully lead a group of well-informed and articulate academic community;
- A person who possesses ability to create the needed bridges between staff and students, on the one hand, and the Community on the other hand, and one who is also above petty ethnic, religious, local loyalties and biases;
- Of good physical and mental health in order to be able to serve the five years term;
- Able to perform other lawful duties and responsibilities as may from time to time be directed by the Governing Council and its Statutory and ad-hoc Committees;
- Capacity to promote and administer multi-campus University system;
- A person that can lead the University in research, development and training that address the problems of the immediate environment;
- A person that can create international partnerships and facilitate students and Faculty exchanges and;
- The person should not be above 65 years of age on assumption of office as the Vice-Chancellor.
Terms and Conditions of Services
- The salary and conditions of service are similar to those of the Post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Universities and as determined by the Governing Council of the University from time to time.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for one single term of five (5) years only.
Application Closing Date
16th July, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 30 copies of his / her Application accompanied with 30 copies of the applicant’s most recent Curriculum Vitae which shall contain the following:
- Full Names
- Date and Place of Birth
- Local Government and State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Contact Address with E-mail address and Telephone Number
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children (as applicable)
- Academic Qualifications (Degrees with classes and copies of credentials to be enclosed)
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial Experience
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- 30 Copies of the Applicant’s statement of Mission and Vision for the University.
All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in a sealed envelope marked at the upper left hand corner, “Post of Vice-Chancellor, ESUT”, to the:
Ag. Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT),
Enugu State, Nigeria.
- All candidates must supply in their Applications, Names, Addresses and Phone Numbers of three (3) Referees who should be able to attest to the candidates’ academic and managerial abilities as well as their moral character and uprightness.
- The candidates should request their referees to send their referee reports directly to the Ag. Registrar and Secretary to Council, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT).
- In the case of nominated or “Searched Candidate”, the Curriculum Vitae (CV) must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed and dated by the candidate; and
- All applications not received by 3:00 pm on the last day shall be declared void.