The National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria via the National Open University Act CAP N63. The mission of the University, as a dedicated single mode open and distance learning institution, is to make education available to as many people as are sufficiently prepared, able and willing to benefit from the various levels of education provided through the open and distance learning mode. The NOUN Headquarters is located at the University Village, Jabi, Abuja. At present, the University has a Centre for Human Resource Development (CHRD) in Kaduna and one hundred and seven (107) Study Centres spread across the country.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
The post of the University Librarian of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) will become vacant on 17th September, 2022. In accordance with the provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Decree No. 11 of 1993, As Amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act, 2003, the Governing Council of the University wishes to commence the process for the appointment of suitable and qualified candidates for the position. Interested candidates are requested to note the following information:
- The University Librarian is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the overall administration and coordination of the University Library, its branches in the Faculties and Study Centres as well as providing services for the entire University Community.
- Interested candidates are requested to note that a Distance Education (DE) or Distance Learning (DL) Librarian is a specialised academic Librarian whose primary duties involve serving the information needs of distance education students, and staff.
- This position typically involves coordinating the duties of many librarians and library staff to ensure adequate access to library resources for those who enrol in, and teach distance education courses. This means that the successful candidate will be required to administer and develop the Libraries at the Headquarters, Faculties and Study Centres to meet the University’s increasing needs, for its undergraduate, post-graduate and research programmes.
In addition, he/she is to:
- Ensure that distance education students and staff have the same access as on-campus students in conventional universities to essential services including reference assistance, library materials, bibliography instruction, interlibrary loan and document delivery, as well as access to reserve materials;
- Prepare library budgets;
- Serve as primary contact at the library for distance education students and staff;
- Design, maintain and access distance education library web-pages and user interfaces;
- Create specialised online tutorials covering topics such as information literacy education and using of remotely accessible library database;
- Assist staff with designing course-specific web-pages and providing intellectual property rights;
- Be in excellent physical and mental health.
Requirements for the Candidate
- The candidate for the post of Librarian must possess a minimum of second class lower degree, Master’s in Library Science (MLS) and PhD from a recognized University, with at least fifteen (15) years relevant post-qualification experience in an institution of higher learning preferably in an Open and Distance Learning Institution.
The candidate is also expected to:
- Not be below the rank of Deputy Librarian, who has spent at least four (4) years on the post;
- Have considerable number of scholarly publications in reputable journals;
- Be a member of the following: Librarian Registration Council of Nigeria Nigeria Library Association;
- Be computer literate and proficient in relevant computer applications as applicable to the running of a complex and modern University Library.
Terms and Conditions of Service Applicable to the Post
- The University Librarian shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration and other conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Librarian in all Federal Universities in Nigeria and as may be determined from time to time by the Federal Government/Governing Council of the University.
Application Closing Date
23rd May, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit 30 type-written copies of their Applications and attached with full Curriculum Vitae prepared in the following order:
- Full names with surname first
- Post sought
- Marital status
- Number & Ages of Children
- Date and Place of birth
- Local Government Area
- State of Origin
- Current contact address, phone numbers & emails
- Permanent home address
- Educational background with dates
- Academic & professional qualifications with dates
- Previous employment, post held with dates
- Present employment, status & salary
- Extra-curricular activities
- List of publications with dates
- Names and addresses of 3 referees
- A two page write up on applicant’s vision & mission for the University.
Applications in sealed envelope marked “Post of Registrar” should be forwarded to:
National Open University of Nigeria,
Plot 91, Cadastral Zone, University Village,
Nnamdi Azikiwe Express Way, Jabi,
- Candidates are to request their referees to send confidential reports on them to the same address before the closing date.
- This advertisement does not impose any legal obligation on the University to invite, accept or deal in whatsoever manner with any applicant.