Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: University Librarian
Location: Akwa Ibom
- The Governing Council of Akwa Ibom State University has declared the position of University Library open
- The position will be filled in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act- No. 11 of 1993 the Universities (Miscellaneous
- Provisions) Amendment Act 201.2 and the Akwa Ibom State University Law
- Interested candidates who meet the requisite qualifications and experience as specified below are invited to apply.
- The University Librarian shall be a Principal Officer of the University.
- He/she shall also be the administrative and academic Head of the University Library.
- He/she shall be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University Library and the co-ordination of all library services in the University and its Campuses, Colleges, Schools, Faculties, Departments, Institutes and other teaching and research units of the University.
- The ideal candidate must be able to steer the University Library towards growth and development as well as its vision of meeting the demands of students, staff and community by ensuring:
- An effective and efficient library system;
- A highly commendable e-library service complemented with traditional library services;
- Adequate programmes that promote information and critical literacy;
- An effective coordination of University Library Units in faculties, department and centres.
- The candidate must be a person with a high degree of integrity and moral discipline and should be endowed with creativity and innovation.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates for this post must:
- Possess the basic qualification of First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC) as well as WASC, SSC (WAEC or NECO), GCE or equivalent qualification with Credit Passes in a minimum of five (5) subjects including English Language;
- Be professionally qualified and a practicing librarian;
- Possess a good honours degree not below Second Class in Library Science from a recognized University, plus a higher degree (preferably a Ph.D) with at least Fifteen (15) years relevant experience, preferably in a University or other institutions of higher learning.
- Have contributed to knowledge through research and publications in reputable journals, as well as possess proven records of sound administrative leadership;
- Not be below the rank of a Deputy Librarian with at least 4 (four) years experience;
- Be highly resourceful and versatile in the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), Computer-based cataloging and e-library literacy
- The tenure of the University Librarian, as a Principal Officer of the University is a single Five (5) years term.
Salary and Conditions of Service
- The successful candidate will be placed on “CONUASS7” with relevant fringe benefits and will equally enjoy the allowances normally attached to the position of Principal Officers in Nigerian Universities as well as other benefits as may be approved by the Governing Council of Akwa Ibom State University.
Application Closing Date
4th August, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Twenty-five (25) copies each of his / her Application and CV, indicating the following information:
- Full name
- Post sought
- Date and Place of birth
- Permanent Home and Current Contact Addresses
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Academic / Professional Qualification (attach photocopies of all certificates)
- Previous Working Experience (Giving rank and salary) details of research work and publications
- Extra-curricular Activities
- Names and Addresses of Three (3) Referees, one of whom must be in a position to supply academic, and / or professional reference.
All Applications should be addressed and sent to:
The Vice Chancellor,
Akwa Ibom State University,
Ikot Akpaden, Mpat Enin, L.G.A,
P.M.B. 1167, Uyo,
Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
- Applicants are advised to write boldly at the top left hand corner of the envelopes containing their Applications, the position to which they are responding.
- Referee should also be advised to send their reports, in confidential cover, directly to the “Vice Chancellor”.