The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri, Monguno, Gwoza and Bama of Borno State and Damaturu of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Transport Assistant
Reference No.: req15718
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The transport assistant supports the transport officer to ensure the efficient and effective management of the IRC’s fleet in Maiduguri field office.
- The position will directly supervise IRC and rental vehicle drivers in Maiduguri field office.
- Work with the Transport officer to design a suitably staffed and equipped transport function to support the IRC’s vehicle operations and policies.
- Manage and be accountable for the vehicle fleet, ordering and inventory management of all vehicle related parts and consumables, including fuel.
- Manage and monitor drivers.
- Assist the Transport officer in Managing the vehicle pool.
- Ensure the correct and timely routine maintenance and repair of vehicles.
- Ensure that all vehicles carry the required on-board documentation and that all documents are kept current (including insurance).
- Inspect and record condition of vehicles, by maintaining weekly checklists file and ensuring that Vehicle logbooks are accurately filled.
- Ensure all vehicles are properly cleaned on daily basis.
- Collects log sheets and ensure it is properly filled.
- Assist the Transport officer in planning weekly and monthly report on transport department and discuss with Logistics Manager.
- Signing on vehicle fuel forms for refueling and keeping accurate record and monitoring system on fuel consumption.
- Work with the Transport officer to ensure that vehicles are prepared for routine and emergency security requirements.
- Ensure that all vehicles are secure when not in use.
- Check and inspect all the rented vehicle have the minimum requirement in place.
- Be familiar with local regulations / laws.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Transport Officer
- Position directly supervises: Drivers.
- Indirect Reporting: Logistics Manager.
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
- Internal: Country Program: Maiduguri Operations team, Program teams and senior management
- External: Transport vendors, and Local government authorities.
- Education: B.Sc / HND qualification.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in transport/vehicle maintenance related roles preferable in an INGO setting.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Attention to detail.
- Good planning and organization skills
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Team spirit and problem-solving skills.
- Computer skills (Microsoft word, Excel etc.)
- Fluently speak and write English language clearly (Hausa/Kanuri is an added advantage)
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.