Cassava is a root crop, it is the underground half of the cassava shrub, which is moreover known as Manihot esculenta. It is a root crop, and it is moreover a perennial crop.Cassava is the third largest provide of meals (carbohydrates) in the tropics, after rice and maize. Cassava is a most important staple meals in the creating world, providing an essential meals routine for over half a billion people. It is one of the most drought-tolerant crops, succesful of rising on marginal soils. Cassava chips manufacturing is completed in huge quantity in Benue State, all the South-South States can key into this line of manufacturing. In completely different to supply jobs and for financial system.
Nigeria is the world’s largest producer of cassava globally and produces about 59 million metric tonnes yearly, which accounts for about 20% of the world manufacturing of cassava.
Cassava can be processed in a verity of strategies which embrace cassava chips manufacturing (tapioca), garri (cassava flakes), fufu, starch, cassava flour and pellet.
Cassava chips is an unfermented white product cassava cut back into a cylindric type with a diameter of about 3mm to 5mm, And they are used as carbohydrate base in animal feeds in most parts of Europe and North America, They are moreover used in pharmaceutical manufacturing and can be milled and used in the manufacturing of desserts, biscuits, dough-nut, and ethanol.
Two grades of Cassava chips;
● Animal grade cassava chips: This grade of cassava chips is the major and most usually exported cassava chips in Nigeria as the commonplace is not extreme and solely entails chopping and drying the cassava chips.
● Pharmaceutical grade cassava chips: This grade of cassava chips is barely exported from Nigeria as it entails very high-level hygiene, and very top quality cassava and a extreme stage of sterilization and moreover are massively further pricey than the animal grade.
PRODUCTION PROCESS Of CASSAVA CHIPS
The manufacturing course of of cassava chips entails straightforward operations which requires a lot much less difficult gear.
The major procedures are as follows.
Sorting and Weighing OF THE RAW CASSAVA
The harvested cassava roots are first sorted to select the correct top quality of roots, as properly as, to take away immature, pest contaminated roots and worldwide provides sooner than weighing course of.
Cassavas chips dryer
Washing and Peeling of Raw Cassava
The cassava roots are washed in potable working water to take away adhering sand robust particles and mud. Then they are manually peeled with knives and washed as soon as extra to take away sand and completely different mud further.
The washed, peeled cassava roots are then fed into a cassava chipping machine fabricated to pay money for cassava chips of frequent sizes and shapes. Alternatively, the tubers can be manually cut back into spherical chips, nevertheless these are usually of uniform dimensions.
The moist chips are unfold in trays in a cabinet dryer at a predetermined temperature and dried to a required low moisture stage.
To produce good top quality chips, the roots ought to be sliced and dried as shortly as attainable merely after harvest this ensures the chip stays white and enhance marketability. The chips should be turned periodically all through the drying course of, usually two or three sunny days. The chips are thought-about dry when they are merely broken nevertheless too exhausting to be crumbled by hand. The thickness of the slices moreover impacts the top quality of the chips. Thick slices may appear dry on the ground when their inside moisture content material materials is nonetheless extreme.
The dried chips are then allowed to cool naturally to room temperature sooner than packaging.
The cooled, dried chips are vacuum packaged in high-density polythene baggage or polypropylene baggage lined with high-density polythene baggage.
Devices Needed For Cassava Chips Manufacturing
● Chipping machine
● Rotary dryer
● Packaging machine (stitching and sealing)
● Speedy moisture analyzer
● Automated cyanide analyzer.
Why you should start Cassava Chips Manufacturing Enterprise
● Very high-profit margin
● Very extreme export demand
● Easy and moderately priced processing course of largely for the animal base cassava chips
● Extreme availability of raw supplies (cassava) as farmers produce further cassava than they can eat.
● Fairly priced chip raw provides
How Lots is needed To Start Cassava Manufacturing In Nigeria
The worth and arrange of the tools required for cassava chips manufacturing can be estimated to be about eight million 5 hundred and fifty thousand Naira (N8, 550, 000). This doesn’t entail the worth of shopping for the site of which the plant would be constructed, and moreover the worth of generators, stitching machines, industrial Scale, Borehole or moveable water, and completely different working costs. This implies that roughly about fifteen million Naira would be required in starting the enterprise in a commonplace technique..
Challenges Of Cassava Chips Manufacturing In Nigeria
Cassava chips manufacturing in Nigeria is hampered by many parts which embrace;
● Extreme Presence Pest And Illnesses: the extreme presence of sicknesses and pests has dramatically hampered the cost and top quality of manufacturing of the cassava tubers, which in flip impact the availability of cassava for cassava chips manufacturing.
● Inadequate Storage Providers: Due to the lack of storage companies, there are usually very important losses of cassava tubers that may not be processed immediately, most important to a extreme stage of wastage and loss of capital.
● Poor Infrastructure: Due to the unavailability of power present and unhealthy freeway networks, it dramatically will enhance the worth of manufacturing of this product most important to a low cost in income margin.
● Lack Of Funding: Cassava chips manufacturing is a capital intensive enterprise, subsequently needing tons of funds to start the enterprise, and due to inadequate entry to funds by the native producers of this product, it has considerably hampered the manufacturing course of.
● Lack Of Knowledgeable Labour: The machines used in cassava chips manufacturing require some extreme stage of expertise to perform, and the unavailability or extreme worth of the obtainable skilled labour has considerably hampered the manufacturing course of in this enterprise.
Promoting and advertising and marketing
Cassava chips is domestically demanded in huge quantity nevertheless extraordinarily demanded in the worldwide market. You can course of and export them to completely different nations by your self or promote to shoppers of the produce in Nigeria who export the chips to completely different nations. Take a look at net you will see a itemizing of shoppers or sellers of cassava chips.
There is a very extreme export demand in China, notably for ethanol manufacturing. Nigeria is planning to export chips to China to the tune of 1,100,000T this 12 months. This is a clear indication that Cassava Chips are of very extreme market value.
The worldwide value of cassava chips fluctuates between $1, 200, and $1,300 per metric tonne. Whereas domestically, it is supplied at N120, 000 per tonne.
The above particulars make the enterprise to be very fascinating and economically viable. It is moreover technically doable and extraordinarily worthwhile. With a right administration and promoting technique, a minimal income margin of N20,000 is obtainable from producing a ton of good top quality Cassava chips.