The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) is a specialized technical institution of the African Union established to support public health initiatives of Member States and strengthen the capacity of their public health institutions to detect, prevent, control and respond quickly and effectively to disease threats.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Officer – Saving Lives and Livelihoods Programme
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Grade: AUP3 Step 1
Supervisor: Partnership Management Team Lead
Job Description Summary
- The Senior Project Officer will be responsible for managing all official correspondence, tracking the fiscal execution of the implementing partners, and monitoring the performance of implementing partners.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Project Officer shall:
- Develop the scope and work plan of the projects in conjunction with each implementing partners
- Manage internal Projects Office staff who will be assigned to the 5 regions of the continent
- Ensure implementing partners are achieving results in line with the KPIs of the Programme and develop corrective actions if there is a delay
- Hold regular meetings with the implementing partners and conduct oversight together with other team members including team members from the Regional Programme Teams and Technical Assistance Teams
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques, and report and escalate to management as needed;
- Ensure implementing partners are complying with routine auditing and reporting procedures
- Coordinate closely with Mastercard Foundation on the administration of funds in the programme, including routine reporting on financial and technical performance
- Advise implementing partners on potential capacity-building opportunities and links with the Technical Assistance Team and Regional Program Team for further advise
- Develop monthly project implementation reports, monitor and track progress of the project; Oversee overall communication of project activities to key stakeholders
- Manage risks associated with the implementing partners
- Represent Africa CDC in a professional manner, which creates a positive image and enhances the credibility of the organization
- Perform any other duties as requested by the Partnership Management Lead.
Qualification and Work Experience Required
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Health, Epidemiology or related fields with 7 years of work experience. Candidates need to have at least 3 years of experience in a supervisory role Or Bachelors Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Public Health, Epidemiology or related fields with 10 years of work experience. Candidates need to have at least 3 years of experience in a supervisory role.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated project planning and management skills for organizing, planning and executing projects from conception through implementation
- Experience in the preparation of operational work plans, operational guidance and policies, and contributing programmatic input into scientific and programmatic plans and technical proposals for advancing initiatives and programmes in either public or private sector domains
- Excellent administrative skills and ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Knowledge and understanding of programme management support systems and processes
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent wordprocessing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Team Leadership skills
- Excellent coordination and negotiation skills
- Excellent organizational and recordkeeping skills
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and with external actors.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team spirit.
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimal supervision, and in a culturally diverse team
- Awareness of technological trends and applying necessary technology to the daily work when necessary
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible.
- Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Spanish or Portuguese). Knowledge of two or more African Union working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract for three years, of which the first three months will be considered a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
Indicative basic salary of US$37,453 (AUP3Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment of US$17,228.38 (46% of basic salary per annum), Housing allowance of US$22,932 per annum, Thus a total of US$77,613.38 per annum plus Gratuity of 15% of Gross salary per annum.
Application Closing Date
10th July, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this post, click on the link above, complete our online application form, and submit your CV and Cover Letter in two different documents, which should be prepared before applying as they will be considered in the application process.
- The Cover Letter should be no more than two pages long and explain why they are interested in this post and how their skills and experience make them a good fit.
- The document should be saved in MS Word in the following format: Their First Name – Their Last Name – Document Name – Date (mmyy) (e.g., “Pat – Jones – CV – 062022 – AFENET” or “Pat – Jones – CoverLetter – 062022 – AFENET”).
- If you have any queries on any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information, or would like to have an informal discussion, please email at: [email protected] in the first instance.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.