The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer – Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
Requisition ID: 1171
Location: Algiers – AFREC (Algeria), Algeria
Reports to: Head of Division of Energy Policies, Strategies and Support
Directorate/Department: African Energy Commission (AFREC)
Division : Division of Energy Policies, Strategies and Support
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Enables AU achieve divisional objectives in its various departments/ organs.
- Provide support in the preparation and implementation of the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other stakeholders on relevant matters and ensure coordination and collaboration at all levels;
- Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functions of the Division;
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with close coordination with relevant stakeholders;
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AFREC’s internal and external uses;
- Liaise with the various divisions of AFREC and Departments/Units of the African Union Commission for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets and reports for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Assist in developing and implementing AFREC’s programme on Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency which including coordinated support on policies formulation and legal frameworks development in order to build the African institutional and human capacities of Member States to increase investments in expanding utilization of Renewable Energy resoureces and improving Energy Efficiency in Africa.
- Initiate holistic continental, regional and national strategies for the development of Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency in Africa and prepare comprehensive policies and action plans for expanding utilization renewable energy and improving energy efficiency in residential, transport, industrial and service sectors in African, and ensure sustainability dimension in designing these strategies.
- Coordinate policy advisories and technical support for the African Member States and Pan African Institutions on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency policies, legal frameworks and regulations, institutional reforms and strategic matter related to the development and investment.
- Prepare action plans that effectively address the problems and constrains arising from current approach for expanding the Renewable Energy resources and improving Energy Efficiency in the continent.
- Identify the potential areas of support to Member States and design the appropriate interventions for expending utilization of Renewable Energies and improving Energy Efficiency.
- Design and conduct a comprehensives capacity building programme to experts of Member states and promote the collaboration and cross boarders’ experiences sharing.
- Build partnership and collaboration with Member States, RECs, Pan – African Institutions, International Organizations, think – tanks, Investors, NGOs and any relevant stakeholders in to benchmark policy formulation in Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency in order to develop effective supports and interventions to the Member States in expanding utilization of Renewable Energy resources and improving Energy Efficiency in the continent.
- Coordinate preparation of policy briefs, studies, researches, reports and case studies in promoting Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, attracting investment and providing advisory supports to relevant stakeholders in national, regional and continental level.
- Represent AFREC at workshops, conferences, meetings and seminars pertaining to Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency and provide guidance on issues related with AFREC’s work on this sector.
- Assist in mobilizing technical and financial support to the Member States for preparing and implementing projects and programmes on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency.
- Keep abreast of global and regional development and trends in Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency policies and governance and its roles in developing African energy sector with special attention on the new policies related with climate change and energy transition.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Master’s Degree in Energy, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, Energy Economics, Energy Management and/or in related field in science and engineering with seven (7) years of experience out of which three (3) years at supervisory level.
- A University Bachelor’s Degree in Energy, Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, Energy Economics, Energy Management and/or a related field in science three (3) years at supervisory level ence and engineering with ten (10) years of experience out of which five 5 years at supervisory level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, and Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight.
- Managing Risk.
- Core Competencies
- Building Relationship.
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking.
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 18,547.20 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
27th June, 2022.
Method of Nigeria
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online