The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support)
SVN No.: SVN2022.02
Organizational Unit: Migration Management
IOM Classification: G6
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the general supervision of the Head of Sub Office (Lagos) and Programme Manager, Migration Management and the direct supervision of the Movement Operations Officer, the Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for supervising movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of eight staff members undertaking field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit centre, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation, including supporting staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of field support activities.
- Coordinate the efficient and effective management of airport services, including care and verification of travel documentation; assistance with airport formalities; escorts for arriving and departing individuals; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and sending notifications using relevant systems. Schedule daily work for Field Support staff, ensuring adequate coverage for all flight arrivals and departures based on advanced booking notifications (ABNs) and onward movements, and ensure staff have adequate power and IT availability to complete their work. Handle all urgent issues as they occur and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with IOM management.
- Coordinate staff as they assist individuals at transit centres or third-party facilities throughout their stay. Coordinate with the Movement Operations Manager to maintain an organized flow of individuals and their luggage through arrival and departure procedures at the facility; track relevant information regarding flight data and ensure team members are updated on departure times, delays and cancellations; work with staff to ensure luggage and medical checks are organized in an efficient manner; under the supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, create the weekly shift schedule and assign tasks, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a safe, secure and clean environment; report regularly to management on long-stayers and other relevant issues, employing creative problem solving as needed to handle problems. In coordination with the Movement Operations Manager, handle financial paperwork.
- Coordinate timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centres, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations, ensuring staff members work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
- Coordinate pre-departure formalities including but not limited to counselling, travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Schedule and supervise daily discussions with individuals staying in facilities on cleanliness, litter, and hygiene. Ensure all posters and informational messages are up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
- Provide oversight at transit centres and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or management if issues arise.
- Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centres and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, supervising staff as they ensure the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and preparing and supervising relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging, and handling is done appropriately and that staff members arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Coordinate and/or provide pre-screening, pre-departure orientation and selection mission support, medical processing support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centres, camps, consolidation points, IOM facilities and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
- Under the close supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, liaise as needed with other Teams and Units in IOM Nigeria and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Movement Operations Manager and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
- As needed, and under the close supervision of the Movement Operations Manager, assist with financial activities related to movement operations, such as petty cash payments and reports.
- Train Field Support Team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage their work, conduct quality assurance, and to monitor and guide other Field Support staff members and activities.
- Alert the Movement Operations Manager or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of four year’s progressive and relevant work experience with Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Migration Management, International Development, or any related Social Sciences.
Experience & Skills:
- Prior Movement Operations, transportation-related and/or management experience a strong advantage.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups and providing psychological first aid in an emergency setting.
- Team-lead experience and coordination with ability to work under immense pressure.
- Project management experience required, preferably in human relations and management.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, civil authorities, and other national / international institutions.
- Experience in the area of migration, refugees and reintegration of migrants and victims of trafficking.
- Experience working in an international organization, development agencies or a UN institution is highly desirable.
- Strong computer skills – Word, Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, Excel, and Internet.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge in one or more national language.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This is a national position and only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Application Closing Date
24th January, 2022.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.02. Lagos. Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) G6.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV)
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.