Apply for Security Officer at FHI 360. FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Security Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria includes over 50% travel to State offices
Employment Type: Full time
Supervisor: Security Manager, Nigeria
- The Security officer will discharge his/her assignment under the guidance of the FHI 360 Security Manager to support safe implementation of Program activities through close cooperation. The Security officer will mitigate the risks poised to Programs, personnel and assets through provision of expertise and focused Security Management support.
- The Security officer will take the lead in staff safety and Security management for FHI 360- and will assist the Security Manager to ensure that organizational security policies and procedures are responsive to the context, and that security plans and measures are developed to current and appropriate to changing security environment.
- The SO will ensure provision of early warning advisories affecting security situations for FHI 360 Program activities and will travel extensively to all States of implementation on short notice and support staff capacity to work more effectively and contribute to reducing FHI 360’s operational vulnerabilities.
- The SO position reports to the FHI 360 Security Manager in Nigeria and works closely with all projects State offices and holds key relationship with Security Manager and Emergency management team (EMT).
Essential Responsibilities and Specific Roles
Safety & Security Management:
- Carry out security risk assessments (SRA) based on contextual risk levels including the Safety and Security for all staff, eligible dependents, resources, assets, facilities, programs while ensuring compliance with FHI 360’s Security policy.
- Take a lead in development and updating of State contingency plans for review by the Security Manager
- Conduct periodic and appropriate rapid site security surveys of premises and advice on shortfalls in security preparedness provided recommendations.
- Provide training and capacity building for staff and Security focal points to ensure employees are aware of operating environment and personal safeguards required for work in the field.
- Develop strategies to improve security Management systems for effectiveness, efficiency, considering new business needs, team dynamics and project mission.
- Provide advice on selection and procurement of appropriate equipment for security including services and work with contracted Security Companies to ensure compliance as per agreements.
Security Awareness, Briefing & Training:
- Ensure new staff are taken through a Security orientation and understand the FHI 360 Security Policy and security platform
- Contribute to security related updates on daily basis for staff briefings and updates with advice on mitigation measures and ensure staff adhere to security policies and procedures
- Provide advance security advice and briefing to staff and visitors intending to travel to Nigeria.
- Conduct periodic briefing to State offices, partners and all staff keeping them up-dated on security developments and/or risks that may affect FHI 360 operations and make recommendations to minimize risks.
- Attend external security information sharing meetings with key security networks such as NGO security forum, UNDSS, OSAC and DFID
- Drivers are briefed of safe vehicle operations.
- Ensure state offices have adequate life safety measures, assets & both drivers and vehicle follow safety standards and requirements
- Ensure all facilities are well prepared in fire safety and any other natural hazards
- Organize safety & security awareness, fire drills and life safety training for all staff.
- Ensure Hotels to be prequalified for use by FHI 360 business are MOSS compliant.
- Track all staff movements and ensure accountability of staff while on travel, ensure there is response plan in the event of any uncertainties.
Incident & Crisis Management:
- Serve as the initial contact and coordinator for all emergencies, incidents involving staff and assets and inform the COP of actions taken
- Coordinate the updating of FHI 360 Security Plans annually; develop specific State contingency plans (SSCP) for review by the Security manager.
- Be part of the incident management team and CO Crisis management
General Duties for Projects:
- Visit all State offices throughout Nigeria as necessary
- Maintain database for key security contacts nationally
- Supervise equipment and security upgrades related to safety and security including training
- Ability to and willingness to change work practices and hours in event of emergencies.
- Act as back up for Security Manager.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree preferable in Security Management or related field.
- Professional certification in security risk management or advanced security management highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years working in security Industry, experience working in complex insecure settings preferred.
- 3 years working in Security management for NGO or development organization
- Experience in liaising with law enforces in Nigeria
- Experience in managing incidents, incident mapping, developing and producing high quality security reports and assessments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working for international organization(s) and an understanding of security strategies for humanitarian operations and previous security experience preferred.
- Effective interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict and ethical management skills, strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning
- Ability to develop security related technical tools, guidelines and systems as well as able to work under minimal supervision.
- Excellent English language skills (oral and written) required
- Current certification in first Aid desired
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work under stressful conditions.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, culture and social ethics
- Competency in internet and Microsoft office systems including word, excel, power point and access and other database mapping systems.
- Ability to develop and deliver security trainings within the NGO context.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply For Security Officer at FHI 360
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online