Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and since November 2016, Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response in North East Nigeria.
Street Child works in the fields of education, child protection and livelihoods, working to deliver sustainable solutions and create maximum impact. Our work combines counselling, family mediation, business support, school building, teacher training and child protection. We were a key player in the Ebola crisis and led the global response for children orphaned by Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia. We deliver all our programmes through local partners and, since 2008, together we have built/renovated over 200 schools and are now helping to educate over 40,000 young people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Advisor Assistant
Locations: Adamawa, Borno and Yobe
Contract: 6month (with the possibility of extension)
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Reports to: Security Advisor
- Street Child believes that every child deserves the chance to go to school and learn.
- Our projects focus on a combination of education, child protection and livelihood support to address the social, economic and structural issues that underpin today’s education crisis.
- We partner with local organisations and communities to deliver our locally rooted programmes, using evidence to drive learning and the refinement and scale-up of programmes to create maximum impact for most children at the lowest cost.
- We pride ourselves on being willing to go to the world’s toughest places where others won’t, including remote, hard-to-reach areas and fragile, disaster-affected states across sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- Since 2008 we have helped over 250,000 children to go to school and learn, and supported over 25,000 families to set up businesses so they can afford the cost of educating their children.
- In order to allow Street Child of Nigeria to Help Children Acquire Education in the world’s Toughest Places, the Security Advisor Assistant (SSA) is to support the Security Advisor (SA) in ensuring smooth implementation of activities across different locations, with the highest regard for adherence to safety and security protocols among staff members as well as other stakeholders.
- The Security Advisor Assistant (SAA) is a member of the Street Child Nigeria operations team.
- The role of the SAA is to support the Security Advisor (SA) in the systemic implementation of safety and security strategies of Street Child Nigeria.
- This is to support the safety and security of all Street Child personnel, assets, partners and beneficiaries across all implementation locations in Nigeria with special attention to Adamawa state as well as Yobe and Borno States. The SAA is expected to assist the SA in maintaining a high level of contextual awareness of the operating areas and strong support to teams at the Field level with a major focus in Adamawa state, as well as Yobe and Borno States.
- The SSA will assist the SA in Planning, Preparation and Implementation of established Street Child Nigeria Safety and Security Procedures and Protocols.
- The SSA will assist the SA in regular monitoring of the contextual security development in the operational areas across Nigeria with keen attention to Adamawa State as well as Yobe and Borno States. As may be directed by the SA, the SSA will be required to provide updates on the context analysis for various project locations, especially around Adamawa state as well as Yobe and Borno States.
- The SSA will support the SA in providing Level Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Risk Management Plans.
- The SSA will provide the necessary support to the SA to ensure that the Field Level Safety Plan and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly.
- The SSA as may be directed by the SA will conduct a trip departure briefing and arrival debrief for any trip.
- The SSA will assist the SA in preparing the Humanitarian Movement Form for security clearance with relevant agencies.
- The SSA will help the SA to ensure the safety readiness of all Street Child staff at the Field level through regular integration of safety management priorities and objectives into Field Office planning.
- The SSA as may be required from time to time will assist the SA in brief, manage and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guarding services to ensure they maintain a high standard of guarding for Street Child office and residence providing for the safety of Street Child compound/staff and assets
- As may be directed the SSA will assist the SA in maintaining physical safety standards for Street Child office and guesthouse at Field level
- As may be directed by SA, the SSA will accompany staff on field missions on a need basis in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by Street Child staff in the field.
- As may be directed by the SA, the SSA will conduct area assessments or risk assessments in Street Child potential or active project locations.
- The SSA will assist the SA in providing movement tracking oversight and support in coordination with the Logistics department with the use of VHF radios.
- As may be directed by the SA the SAA will liaise with the government, Army, Police, SSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that Street Child staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas.
Reporting and Information management:
- The SSA may be directed by the SA to submit when required voice, email or SMS (alert) to Street Child staff members with immediate advisories when a significant safety incident occurs.
- The SSA will assist the SA in ensuring the submission of formal incident reports as may be reported by staff members, partners or other stakeholders.
- The SSA will assist the SA in preparing and/or presenting weekly staff security briefings.
- The SSA will assist the SA in ensuring that necessary security reports and advisories are disseminated on a routine basis to all Street Child Field staff, in a proper and orderly manner.
- As may be directed by the SA the SSA attend regular security network meetings within the area of responsibility and report the outcome to the SA to ensure that the discussion points from these meetings are incorporated into current safety assessments.
- The SSA will report to the SA and/or any relevant Field level senior management any instances of staff non-compliance to established protocols & procedures.
- The SSA will support the SA in coordination, development and implementation of training plans for all Street Child Field level staff focused on safety awareness and skillsets.
- The SSA will assist the SA in ensuring that all Street Child Field level drivers receive annual driver training as well as First Aid training.
- The SSA will support the SA in conducting drills on hibernation, relocation and evacuation procedures with all field staff members.
- The SSA will support the SA in the coordination of annual Crisis Management training sessions with all relevant Field level staff.
- As may be directed, the SSA will support the SA during any critical incident or crisis, for liaison, representation and reportage as may be directed.
- As may be directed the SSA will support the SA in ensuring that all Field Level Crisis management plans are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
- As may be directed the SSA will assist the SA in ensuring that the necessary external relationships are maintained at the Field level to facilitate a quick response and assistance to Street Child during any critical incident or crisis.
- Bachelor’s Degree / HND or equivalent (from Military or paramilitary academy) in Sociology and Criminology, History and International Studies, Risk management, Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution, Development studies, Political Science or any other Social Science with NGO Safety and Security certification courses.
- At least 3 years relevant work experience.
Expected Behaviours and Skills:
- Good analytical skills;
- Ability to report incidents in chronological order;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary;
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education;
- Willingness to work in the flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment;
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- N200,000 – N325,000 per month gross dependant on experience.
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online