Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety / Security Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria with regular field visits
Job Schedule: Full time
Duration: 6 month (possibility for extension)
Starting date: as soon as possible
- The Safety / Security Coordinator is responsible for the development and implementation of the Security Plan and the monitoring and control of the safety and security of people, goods and MdM programs. He/she is the guarantor of the good practice of the MdM policy on the subject.
- He/she will improve contextual analysis, support operational management and strengthen the security capacities of the mission in order to lighten the workload of the General Coordinator (who remains the primary person responsible for security in the country).
In particular, in Nigeria, his/her main responsibilities will be:
- Provide to the General Coordinator valuable information and recommendations to make appropriate operational decisions
- Support the General Coordinator on crisis management and the decision-making process
- Lead the update and implementation of MDM security package
- Conduct training and capacity building to MDM team
- Networking and linkage with NGOs, authorities on security in Maiduguri, Damboa and the Zamfara State to improve security monitoring and analysis
- Security Management
- Team Management and Capacity Building
- Reporting and Representation
- Telecommunication means.
The list of tasks is not intended to be exhaustive and other tasks may be requested by the line supervisor. In addition, a certain degree of flexibility and adaptability is expected from the collaborator according to the potential evolution of the mission’s constraints.
Conditions of the Job:
- Position based in Maiduguri. If security allows, regular travel to Damboa and other potential locations. Otherwise, follow-up of security rules will be done remotely.
Training & Experience
- Familiar with the Nigerian Context
- Similar experience or a minimum of 3-5 years of experience working with international NGOs in high risk humanitarian contexts (operational, logistical or security position)
- Study//training in security management is an asset (ie: HEAT training)
- Mastery of Office 365
- Mastery of SharePoint
- Use of tracking and mapping mobile applications
- VHF radio system setup and training of users
- Data protection methods.
- Fluency in Spoken / Written English
- Arabic, Hausa and Fulani languages are an asset.
- ArcGIS QGIS are any other mapping tool.
- Good teamwork skills, good interpersonal skills
- Sense of initiative and confidentiality
- Rigor and organizational skills
- Ability to build the capacity of teams and partners
- Negotiation skills (diplomacy)
- Ability to analyze, conceptualize and plan
- Informal and formal networking
- Knowledge and mastery of security management methodologies and tools for humanitarian missions
- Good writing and communication skills
- Stress management.
Application Closing Date
27th December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Safety / Security Coordinator” as the subject of the mail.
Note: Applications without the correct subject line stated above will not be treated.