Jhpiego, an Affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, is a global leader in improving healthcare services for women and their families.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: RMNCAEH+N Strategy Review Consultant
Job ID: 2022-4687
Employment: Status Consultant
Category: International Positions
- Nigeria’s estimated 214,392,163 persons made it the most populous black nation in the world. As a third-world country, the burden of maternal, newborn, and child diseases seem to be concentrated in the country with a Maternal Mortality ratio of 512/100, 000 live births, Neonatal Mortality of 39/1000 live births, and Under-five mortality of 132/1000 live births in 2018.
- Interventions that can directly reduce these gruesome figures are well known and are already happening but at such a low scale that their impact on the overall RMNCAEH+N indices seems persistently low.
- There are lots of good interests with many players both in Government and partners tirelessly working to bend these mortality curves in a favorable direction, but these efforts have not been yielding commensurate results
- Two issues that kept recurring as bottlenecks against the change ‘drive’ are weak integration and poor coordination. These have resulted in duplication of efforts, disruption of services, distraction at programming & service delivery points, depletion of resources & dissipation of efforts. The implication is that there are gross wastages and inefficiencies in the system in the face of scarce & dwindling resources
- One of the previous efforts at improving integration and coordination is the development of the IMNCH strategy in 2007 which was launched by the then First Lady. This birthed a series of processes leading to the building of robust partnerships for maternal and child health. In 2017, the strategy was modified based on evolving issues, with efforts to update the strategy although it fell short of being published.
- Recently, there has been expansion of the program elements to incorporate all aspects of Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child Adolescent, and Elderly Health plus Nutrition (RMNCAEH+N).
- In addition, the Coordination approach has been substantially modified so it becomes a Multi-stakeholder Partnership Coordination Platform (MSPCP). Now that the 2017 strategy has run its course, the time is now ripe for a substantial review of the strategy document to properly articulate the strategic vision for the RMNCAEH+N MSPCP and document how this coordination approach will lead to the actualization of the shared vision.
- The Federal Ministry of Health and partners require the services of a Consultant to lead the process of review of the National RMNCAEH+N strategy
- Review the current strategy with the aim of identifying and itemizing gaps in the section relevant to their thematic areas
- Facilitate assessment of coordination mechanisms in states using an agreed tool
- Propose fresh write ups/modifications that will address the gaps identified in 1 above as it affects their thematic areas
- Thematic consultants to effectively liaise with focal persons of the respective thematic program in the federal ministry of health to ensure currency of interventions proposed
- Keep an organized list of resource documents and references consulted for bibliography
- Support and facilitate technical review meetings for stakeholders to build consensus on the proposed changes
- Link up and collaborate with the coordinating consultant(s) and the consultants working on the other thematic areas to ensure smooth harmonization and finalization
- Provide updates & directly link up with the RMNCAEH+N coordination desk in the coordinating unit of the Family Health department, FMoH
- A senior (> 10 years post qualification) Obstetrician & Gynaecologist who has had copious experiences in in-service training packages on Life-Saving Skills (LSS, mLSS, ELSS) and Family Planning (FP technologies, FP logistics management etc).
- Should have cognate experience in developing national policies on SRH. Should be an active member of technical working groups on reproductive health at national or subnational levels
- Master’s Degree, PhD is an added advantage. Medical degree (MBBS, Nursing/midwifery, pharmacy etc.) with master’s in public health (necessary for medical-related consultancies)
- Professional certification in the related field is an added advantage
- Post-graduate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- At least 12 years of working experience in a related field
- Extensive consultancy experience with local and international organizations of at least 7 years
- Previous experience working with the Federal and State Ministry of Health stakeholders
- Good knowledge of MS Office packages etc
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure and collaboratively in a team
- Advanced level of spoken and written English
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package including: Medical and dental plans; paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; personal accident insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; life and disability insurance; travel insurance; education assistance plan and more.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.