FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Senior Technical Advisor
Job Requisition ID: 2022200042
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full-time
Travel Requirements: 10% – 25%
- The Regional Senior Technical Advisor will report to the Technical Director within the HIV division and will be responsible for provision of high-level technical assistance to FHI 360 supported projects.
- Will support projects to effectively use data use for decision making and in adaptive program management by deployment of quality improvement strategies.
- Will work closely with the country project and technical directors to support them to adopt enhanced project technical and management approaches that will lead to optimal performance of their projects. Will provide mentorship to country project staff and to ensure strong technical program quality.
- Advancement to this level is appointed by Senior Management.
- Provide technical assistance and mentorship to country project team members and facilitate technical capacity assessments in efficacious, evidence-based HIV prevention, care and treatment.
- Provide technical guidance in strategic information use and mapping to inform program targeting and adaptive program management across different countries
- Provide technical support and mentorship as needed to site level staff to expand and improve HIV prevention, care and treatment approaches using evidence-based strategies that align with national guidelines, PEPFAR guidance and international standards.
- Lead technical support to local implementing partners to identify capacity gaps in line with project deliverables and design capacity building of service providers and managers through trainings, orientation, mentorship, supportive supervision and other innovative approaches for quality service delivery.
- Provide technical guidance to other stakeholders to strengthen capacity of local health systems, partners and communities to deliver quality health services.
- Provide technical guidance/assistance in Improvement Science.
- Serve as the primary headquarter project backstop for technical aspects of all deliverables, including achievement of key project milestone
- Lead surge implementation in response to areas of underperformance
- Lead business development efforts
- Represent the HIV department in regional technical meetings
- Work collaboratively with project directors, deputy directors and technical staff to regularly review performance
Business Development and Client / Funder Support:
- Prepare proposals, budgets, and work plans.
- Participate in business development meetings with partners / clients.
- Participate in client / funder meetings and provide technical input.
- Draft reports and presentations.
- Represent FHI 360 at international meetings and conferences.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs (non governmental organizations) and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area.
- Continually maintains a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff members of implementing partners.
- Participate in client / funder meetings and draft reports / presentations.
Staff Leadership and Training:
- May supervise team members, monitor performance, and lead professional development efforts.
- Develop and implements trainings.
- Identifies strategies to address training gaps.
Project / Program Reporting:
- Review technical reports.
- Prepares and delivers presentations as needed.
- Review project work plans and coordinates with project staff on activities.
- Ensures technical deliverables and implementation are consistent with best practices, normative guidance and meet donor obligations.
- Proactively identify challenges to technical deliverables and develop mitigation plans.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluate the effectiveness of assigned projects and makes recommendations for enhancements.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- In-depth functional knowledge around specialization and detailed knowledge of related areas in the organization.
- General understanding of the external environment and how it affects the industry in general and the organization, including political, legal, environmental, financial, and social influences.
- General understanding of the organization’s structure, policies and practices, and the impact on one’s own area.
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exchange information, present recommendations and collaborate with colleagues and peers within the organization and possibly externally.
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype/TEAMS, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer / copier.
- A Degree in Medicine or a related discipline and a Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related discipline
- At least 12 years of experience designing and implementing public health programs in sub-Saharan Africa with practical experience in HIV/AIDS programs for key, general and priority populations.
- Documented participation on normative bodies (e.g. WHO) or national technical committees that define guidelines relevant to the specific HIV, TB or other infectious diseases
- Experience in PEPFAR-supported countries with close understanding of regional health systems and HIV prevention, care and treatment service delivery gaps and areas for growth
- Experience leading business development efforts in HIV, TB and other technical areas.
- Has relevant publications, presentations, developed reports, and manual/tool development.
- Experience leading business development efforts in the technical area.
- Demonstrated ability to critically appraise situations and design strategic interventions.
- Excellent report writing, analytical and communication skills, including oral presentation skills and in-depth knowledge and experience in USG/PEPFAR reporting requirements.
- Extensive experience in knowledge management and dissemination of research findings
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at a computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 – 25 lbs.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online