The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Rector
Requisition ID: 721
Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Reports to: Commissioner (ESTI)
Directorate / Department : ESTI
Number of Direct Reports: 10
Number of Indirect Reports: 20
Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- This is the position of the Chief Executive and chief academic Officer of the Pan African University’s Management structure and shall exercise general superintendence and control over the university.
- The holder of this position will be responsible for formulating and implementing appropriate operating policies and decisions related to the establishment of the PAU, and in accordance with the PAU strategic plan.
- He /she shall be responsible for implementing innovative programs and adopt new cutting-edge technologies for the University, to make it globally competitive.
- He/she shall be responsible for developing and maintaining mutually beneficial relationships with, educational, research, governmental, business, industrial, professional, social, civil society and cultural institutions regionally and internationally. The PAU Rector will be supported in his/her functions by Vice Rector (Research, Development and Cooperation) and other staff.
- Develop and maintain operating rules and procedures;
- Provide technical leadership and ensure efficient functioning of rectorate the PAU Institutes and the PAVEU;
- Ensure overall management of the PAU personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force;
- Determine and execute the overall strategy of the PAU in alignment with PAU rules and procedures;
- Design and develop business continuity plan to address unforeseen circumstances;
- Design operational policies consistent with the AU’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Ensure risk management and mitigation Prepare and oversee integrated programs of overall activities of the organization;
- Build and maintain a strategic plan to form good working relations with ESTI and other departments of the Commission;
- Develop and maintain regular working relations with top level stakeholders in appropriate agencies of Member States and partners;
- Organize coordination meetings between PAU and other similar and relevant organizations;
- Ultimately responsible for preparing periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Oversee the collection of contributed funds to the PAU;
- Initiate and take necessary actions to collect funds of and for the African Union as a whole;
- Propose training programmes relating to program designing and coordination;
- Promote awareness and training of best practices in area of expertise.
- Representing the University in all forums as its Chief Executive;
- Facilitate the signing of MOUs with Host Universities, Host Countries, and Lead Thematic Partners and African Union Commission;
- Concluding agreements, contracts or other arrangements between the PAU and other competent bodies for pedagogic, research, management and funding purposes with the approval of the PAU Council;
- Coordinate the development of a corporate plan for the operationalization of the PAU and ensure it is translated into appropriate, and realistic goals and objectives that are delivered harmoniously and successfully;
- Prepare and present the PAU annual activity report to the PAU council;
- Ensure the implementation of the decisions of the African Union Summit of Heads of State and Government with regard to PAU;
- Facilitate the required co-ordination between Directors of PAU Institutes and Coordinators of Programme Departments and Centers;
- Coordinate the selection of the PAU Satellites centers;
- Liaison with the African Union Commission, Vice chancellors of Host Institutions, and Lead Thematic Partners;
- Managing the personnel of the PAU;
- Coordinate the establishment of Rectorate and recruitment of Rectorate staff;
- Coordinate the student recruitment process, award of scholarships, and smooth relocation to respective Institutes;
- Ensure the recruitment of academic staff for PAU Institutes;
- Provide oversight for all PAU academic programs;
- Ensuring the implementation and the periodic monitoring of the PAU’s multi-annual strategic development plan as approved by the PAU Council
- Performing all other functions as are necessary for the proper administration, smooth operation and development of the PAU.
- Serve as secretariat to the PAU Council and chair the PAU senate
- Any other responsibilities assigned by ESTI Commissioner.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- PhD and a full professor of a recognized university, with twenty (20) years of post-graduate experience in one of the thematic fields of the PAU of which ten (10) years at a senior academic leadership position and a minimum of 4 years as a Vice Rector / Deputy Vice Chancellor in a recognized university;
- Having held the administrative positions of Rector or Vice Chancellor within a recognized university will be an added advantage.
- Have at least two years of work experience in continental or international organizations
- Have recognition from peers (be a recipient of at least one award from national/continental/ body or professional association or research/development organization) for outstanding academic leadership or research/development contribution.
- Highly conversant in the cultures and changing landscapes of higher education internationally;
- Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring;
- Strong background of research and publications, a prominent profile in the relevant academic community and a proven record of effective leadership and management experience at a senior level in an academic/research institution;
- Successful track record of fund-raising for international projects.
- Uses strong managerial and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives;
- Engages in effective delegation and follow up to ensure results;
- Uses tact and political savvy in negotiating;
- Makes informed decisions and communicates decisions effectively;
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to collaborate with others to achieve outcomes;
- Utilizes strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Respect for Diversity:
- Works effectively with people from various backgrounds;
- Treats all people with dignity and respect. Treats men and women equally;
- Shows respect and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates it in decision-making;
- Examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses and does not discriminate against any individual or group;
- Creates an environment where respect for diversity is embedded in behaviors, systems and processes;
- Performs and relates effectively across organizational boundaries in a diverse multi-national and multicultural setting.
Working with Others:
- Collaborates effectively with top level stakeholders i.e. the Commission and Senior Management Group. Able to persuade, guide and advise top level stakeholders;
- Able to effectively collaborate with stakeholders and partners;
- Leads discussions and negotiations on behalf of the Commission on human resources issues;
- Creates a culture where knowledge sharing and effective collaboration is encouraged;
- Creates conducive environment for Students and teachers.
Vision and Strategic Thinking:
- Identifies key strategic issues, opportunities and risks;
- Clearly communicates links between the organization’s strategy and the Directorate’s goals;
- Establishes/identifies and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction;
- Identifies clients’ needs and appropriate solutions;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships.
- Communicates orally with strong interpersonal skills;
- Expresses ideas and formulates plans by means of clear and effective writing and oral presentations;
- Drafts conceptual and detailed reports/papers and reviews/edits the work of others;
- Prepares rationale with respect to key financial and administrative decisions;
- Negotiates effectively.
- Leads and gains the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor;
- Builds trust through integrity, transparency and creating an open and positive environment;
- Fosters harmonious and effective teamwork in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Keeps abreast of available technology and understands its applicability to the work of the Organization;
- Actively seeks, identifies and applies appropriate technology to improve programme delivery.
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority;
- Establishes clear roles and reporting lines for staff;
- Monitors progress against establish milestones;
- Discuss performance and provide feedback and appraise performance fairly.
- Strategic Focus
- Strategic Risk Management
- Building Partnerships
- Drives Accountability Culture
- Fosters Innovation.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, or Spanish) is required.
- Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
25th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.