The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Engagement, Outreach and Partnerships Lead
Job ID: 3383
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Practice Area: SDG Integration
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Required Languages: English
Desired Languages: Knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Mobility required/no mobility: Mobility required
- To support its work in this area, the UNDP Nigeria country office intends to engage a professional expert to support the reimagination of its outreach, partnerships and public engagement initiatives and function.
- Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Resident Representative, the Public engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead is expected to provide creative, innovative, visionary and strategic leadership to the country office, through distinct approaches and tangible actions that helps to position UNDP Nigeria in key development areas as a thought leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
- The incumbent will invest time and experience in proactive public engagement and management for the benefit of the country office and its partners, with the aim of enhancing UNDP’s programmatic profile and promote accountability and, public engagement.
- With the leadership of the Resident Representative and in consultation with the Deputy Resident Representatives (Programmes and Operations) the incumbent will ensure support for inter-agency/multi-sector partnerships and collaboration through critical actions geared towards the strategic positioning, partnership building and business development with a view to influence the development agenda and, mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
Duties & Responsibilities
Ensures design and implementation of public engagement and outreach initiatives focusing on the following results:
- Curates and oversees implementation of the country office public engagement and outreach strategies based on goals and priorities
- Assesses the impact of the country office public engagement and outreach implementation and makes adjustments accordingly as informed by trends, media and audience analysis
- Integrates issue-based and people-centered advocacy around key priority areas relevant to UNDP’s work in Nigeria in support of accountability and transparency
- Ensures communication on and around UNDP contribution and that of its partners to Nigeria’s development agenda is relatable, contextualised, locally understood and visible through evidence-based stories of impact and documentation of lessons learned
- Fosters outreach partnerships with communication innovators, creatives and social influencers to achieve programmatic visibility and engagement
- In collaboration with team leaders, and based on their insight, guides the production of results-based communications assets that enhance understanding of UNDP work, programmatic accountability and public appreciation of the UNDP offer
- Leverages innovative communication approaches, tools and outlets including digital and social media campaigns to enhance understanding of UNDP work in Nigeria
- Provides technical and oversight support to the packaging and promotion of work carried out under Regional Stabilization Programme, the Accelerator Lab and ECOWAS/EU Small Arms and Light Weapons Programme.
Supports strategic positioning and innovative partnerships (corporate/private and public sector) focusing on the following:
- Leads country office efforts to position UNDP as a trusted partner of choice and convener of policy dialogues on crucial development priorities
- Identifies opportunities to convene development partners, think-tanks, academia, civil society, media, UN and others around development issues and priorities that can support Nigeria’s acceleration of the SDGs
- Works with the Senior Management Team (SMT) and team leaders in positioning UNDP Nigeria as a thought leader and an integrator within the development domain, in a manner that promotes UNDP’s offer and boosts demand for collaboration at programmatic and policy level
- Liaises with UNDP’s Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy to ensure full alignment of the country office partnerships and communications strategy with UNDP corporate partnerships, policies and procedures
- Contextualises and integrates regional and global public campaigns that promote UNDP as a leading development partner and influences national development agendas based on current programmes and new initiatives
- Leads UNDP engagement with the Nigeria creative sector for development.
Leads proactive media engagement and management focusing on the following:
- Supports country office and programme inoculators’ public engagement and messaging to articulate UNDP’s offer, programmatic priorities, key milestones, impact and results
- Works with the Resident Representative, senior officials, team leaders and project focal persons to produce blogs, op-eds and speeches, talking points, organise interviews and support high-level programme visits and events that showcase UNDP work
- Provides timely support on responses to reputational management inquiries raised by media and donors in close consultation with the Regional Service Centre in Addis Ababa, RBA regional and sub-regional teams and, BERA
- Delivers substantive oversight and quality assurance of communication products, including external website and social media platforms by strengthening their utility for public engagement.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on the following:
- Shares an instrumental culture of knowledge management and sharing within the team and with partners
- Actively engages in relevant UNDP communities of practice and other practice networks, within UNDP, in the broader UN landscape and externally
- Leverages the use of blogs, social media, and communities of practice to ensure wide dissemination of positions, events, debates on programmatic work and related issues
- Ensures the continuous analysis and collation of lessons learnt, best practices and impact in the area of communications for development
- Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), Country Programme Document (CPD) and other documents
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications and advocacy.
Ensures Effective team management focusing on the following:
- Manages Partnerships and Communications unit and delivery of its work plan as aligned to the country office vision and priorities
- Under the guidance of the Resident Representative, sets priorities of the Partnerships and Communications unit in support of programmatic delivery and resource mobilisation
- Leads the development and oversees the implementation of the Partnerships and Communications unit annual work plans
- Encourages and fosters intra-team collaboration to ensure the provision of an integrated package of partnerships and public engagement support to the country office
- Supports staff development and professional growth to achieve the desired results as outlined in UNDP’s people management strategy
- Represents the Partnerships and Communications unit at various internal and external engagements
- Manages recruitment of consultants and delivery of their tasks.
Impact of results:
- As an active UNDP CO team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNDP and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his duties, including, strengthening partnerships. The Public engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead is expected to provide creative, innovative, visionary and strategic leadership to the country office.
- This will result in a positive impact on the overall success of UNDP’s programming to UNDP Nigeria in key development areas as a thought leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
- Ultimately the work in the areas mentioned will have the long-term impact of supporting UNDP Nigeria in delivering better policy advice and programming to partners, through evidence-based recommendations, thereby contributing towards the achievement of the SDGs.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree) or equivalent in Mass Media, Public Relations, Journalism, International Relations, or in a related field;
- A First-level University Degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 5 years progressively responsible for teams with Master’s degree and relevant professional work experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media and or fundraising/corporate communication, advocacy, Public Relations, project management, brand management. Bachelor’s degree with additional 2 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Work experience in conflict related contexts, ideally at national or regional level is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in partnership development, collaboration and management is required
- Demonstrated skills and experience in media and public engagement through dynamic platforms is required.
- Experience in communications for development is not mandatory but an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills is required.
- Experience in leading teams to create highly effective content targeting various audiences for use on digital platforms and mainstream media using innovative approaches and tools is required
- Experience in the United Nations, a governmental, other multilateral or civil society organization is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
- Business Management – Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Business Management – Partnership Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Development – UNDP Representation: Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
- Business Development – Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Business Management – Digital Awareness and Literacy: Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Business Management – Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Development – Integration within the UN: Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
Application Closing Date
27th May, 2022; 04:59 AM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.