Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the positon below:
Job Title: Project Manager, Education
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Job ID: 210002OT
Team / Programme: ECW-MYRP
Contract Length: 1 Year Fixed Term
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- Save the Children with NRC / Street Child and UNICEF is implementing Education Cannot Wait (ECW) Seed funding project of Education Cannot Wait – Multi Year Resilience Project (ECW-MYRP) in the Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY) States of Northeastern Nigeria. ECW MYRP is an innovative model for education in emergencies programming.
- The MYRP Theory of Change focuses on conflict-sensitive interventions, that move communities from emergency to recovery and towards development.
- The funding for MYRP is ensured that out of school children (OOSC) in priority areas have flexible, responsive routes into learning opportunities, that support their transition into further levels of education and that support their holistic wellbeing and development.
- The MYRP in line with ECW priorities focusses on interventions targeting 3-18 years especially refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities.
- The person will lead the delivery/ implementation of Education Cannot Wait – Multi Year Resilience Project (ECW-MYRP) for Save the Children as Implementing partner. The Project Manager Education provides both operations and technical assistance and oversight on all aspects relating to ECW-MYRP.
- The job holder provides overall programmatic and operational coordination and management including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting both internally (within SCI) and externally (for/with partners). The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
- Under the guidance of the Field Manager Yobe, Education Consortium Manager and Head of Education, the Project Manager will ensure that ECW-MYRP is implemented in a coordinated, harmonized and aligned manner, in line with donor requirements and commitments.
- The Project Manager Education will be responsible for supporting the Education Consortium Manager in submission of timely and regular progress reports.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Field Manager.
- Staff reporting to this post: Project Coordinators Education (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe)
- Budget Responsibilities: Yes
Key Areas of Accountability
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of the ECW-MYRP across Northeast in line with the design of the project and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages in the management and implementation of the project.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with the partners and other stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate LGEA, and State level engagements with partners and key stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Education Field Manager Yobe, Head of Education, Awards, Operations Team, Supply Chain, Finance and MEAL to ensure quality program delivery, documentation and reporting of progress.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- Project Manager Education, provide ensure planning, development of detailed implementation plans, phased budgets, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for ECW-MYRP is done in BAY States.
- Overseeing the implementation and budget performance in line with the project plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the projects staff in developing weekly, monthly and annual plans, in line with ECW Project design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realized in line with the funding proposals.
- Support staff to ensure that ECW-MYRP implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Provide guidance to the partners through the planning processes to develop plans that are cost effective and in line with ECW-MYRP funding.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure the timely reviews and adjustments for the project operational and implementation plans and budgets as may be required from time to time.
Finance and Budget Management:
- Manage the Projects budget in coordination with Field Manager and Field Finance Manager.
- Overseeing the budget performance to ensure that projects implementation is on course as per the detailed implementation plans and phased budgets.
- Programme Manager will conduct budget monitoring, suggest necessary revisions and prepare draft reports.
- Ensure that the budget monitoring reports are responded to in time and with accurate information.
- Working closely with Education team to ensure that partners are well guided, supported and their capacity built in sound management procedures.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Review all program financial reports ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standard met, prior to submission to management.
- Organize and facilitate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
- Overall Budget Vs Actual expenditure analysis and variance explanations.
Internal and external engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions.
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the Education coordinator.
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE Coordinators and Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE Coordinators and Officers through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events.
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for EiE Coordinators and Officers.
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support.
- In liaison with Education Consortium Manager, Head of Education and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Education.
- Experience in managing integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
Experience and Skills
- At least 7 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in the Northeast Nigeria in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal) and Local language skills (Hausa, Kanuri or Fulfulde etc.).
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online