MasterCard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services and dignified work. MasterCard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of MasterCard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Program Partner, MSME Finance
The Work at the Foundation
- We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the MasterCard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
- The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment.
- Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
- We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
- If you are a Partner, MSME ready to build something new and increase your impact, read on!
- Reporting to the Program Lead, MSME Finance, the Partner will work collaboratively to manage a portfolio of existing programs in the Financial services/Financial Inclusion sector and Creatives Industries partnerships.
- The Program Partner, MSME Finance will also serve as a member to support the development of country strategies.
- He/She will interact effectively with senior levels of partner organizations to design and develop programs to support MSME start-ups and growth; and incorporate the MSME segment’s needs into the Foundation’s country strategies.
Ways You Can Contribute
- Support and contribute to the ongoing definition and development of Country Office strategies and expansion. This work could include conducting due diligence of potential partners and projects, reviewing project design and appropriate documentation, reporting and data collection as well as budget reviews.
- Identify challenges and opportunities facing MSMEs, including those in the Creatives sector that can be unlocked through education, labour, and financial systems to drive job growth.
- Manage current and future programs as appropriate; and distill learnings for Foundation staff.
- Provide perspective and expertise on emerging issues and trends in youth employment, MSME sector and entrepreneurship growth in Africa.
- Communicate progress and learnings from projects to colleagues and the wider development community.
- Build relationships with partner organizations, communities of practice, and global stakeholders.
- Serve as a local point of contact and collaborator across a range of interested parties including partner organizations, government officials, young people, and private sector leaders on issues of common concern to leverage positive impact toward common goals.
- Represent the Foundation and collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify and overcome barriers to team effectiveness by sharing knowledge and learnings while offering insights and possible solutions to issues and/or program challenges.
- Contribute insights to the Foundation’s thought leadership on youth employment in Africa.
Who You Are
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in Finance, Business, Development Economics and/or Financial Inclusion.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of experience within banking, consulting, research and/or international development organizations. Relevant experience in financing and non-financial support to MSMEs or new enterprises is required. This should include commercial experience and project management in enterprise business development, investing in and/or financing MSMEs in developing countries.
- Strong understanding of MSME segments (from early-stage startups to growth-stage SMEs) in Africa and the systemic challenges constraining their growth, with a particularly understanding of the Nigeria context.
- Understanding of the role MSMEs can play in economic transformation and job creation.
- Experience with MFIs, banks, or investment companies operational in Africa to finance SMEs particularly in agriculture, digital economy, and creative industries.
- Experience living and working in Africa, particularly Nigeria and knowledge of social, economic, and political contexts are highly desirable.
- Strong budgeting skills with the ability to manage a portfolio of commitments.
- Strong ability to communicate progress and learnings from projects to colleagues and the wider development community.
- Excellent project management skills, including multi-stakeholder projects.
- Proactive, engaged and a self-starter.
- Excellent prioritization, time management and listening skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills in English. Ability to speak any local language(s) is highly preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20% when business travels resume.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- You have a commitment to MasterCard Foundation’s values and vision.
Application Closing Date
21st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online