The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement & Administrative Analyst
Job ID: 3659
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Practice Area: Management
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Required Languages: English
Desired Languages: Hausa
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
- Under the guidance of the Administrative & Finance Officer in Borno, the Procurement & Administrative Analyst is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of procurement, general administration, logistical and common services support to OCHA/Nigeria country office and procurement support to West & Central Africa (WCA) region consistent with UN rules and regulations.
- The Procurement & Administrative Analyst leads and provides guidance to OCHA Nigeria CO and WCA region, fostering effective collaboration within the teams, with relevant OCHA and UNDP counterparts at headquarters and in the field, and with other UN agencies, promoting a client-oriented approach and ensuring optimal performance and efficient delivery of services.
- The purpose of this position is to have an impact on the overall efficiency of the Country Office including improved business results and client services. Forward-looking operations management has an impact on the organization of office management, knowledge sharing, and information provision.
Duties & Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Procurement & Administrative Analyst shall be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide procurement support to Nigeria CO and West and Central Africa (WCA) region
- Provide administrative support to Nigeria CO
- Provide Travel support to Nigeria CO
Provide procurement support to Nigeria CO and West and Central Africa (WCA) with the following expected results:
- Full compliance of operations with UN/OCHA/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, effective implementation of corporate operational strategies, achievement of management targets, monitoring and reporting of results.
- Serve as Procurement Focal point for OCHA NG, interfacing with HQ regarding all procurement matters.
- Implement Procurement Delegation of Authority for all procurement requests with maximum amount 50,000 USD for OCHA Nigeria
- Under the same above Delegation, serve also as Procurement Case officer/OCHA Buyer WCA for all procurement requests below 50,000 USD for West and Central Africa region
- Perform procurement functions under 50,000 USD DoA for OCHA Nigeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, CAR and the other country offices within the region.
- Advise and support requisitioners on development of terms of reference, technical criteria, technical evaluation
- Insure day-to-day support and coordination for all procurement arrangements with local service providers & ensure that common service agreements (cleaning, security, health facilities, vehicle maintenance etc) are properly implement and services are to the standards required
- Advise clients (requesting country office) on the best procurement approach most suitable to secure a sustainable supply chain.
- Manage application of procurement modality in terms of Piggybacking, Contract Extension, Contract Amendment, etc
- Recommend strategies and innovative ideas to resolve, in most economically way, (achieving best value for money) complex procurement requests
- Signing of procurement orders (POs) subject to the Delegation of Authority and in case where the amount exceeds authorized limit, preparing case synopsis for review and approval by authorized official.
- Perform periodic market research to obtain latest development in the market in order to make the best out of every market
- Ensure compliance to contractual agreements, recommend contract amendments, extension of contract, and termination where necessary.
- Prepare various procurement related documents such as, memo, RF, SSP, written contract, contract amendment and extension, purchase order, other communications and guidelines.
- Procurement actions taken in accordance with the principles of good planning and overall strategic objectives established by OCHA management, using best practices in sourcing, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management and the use of performance measurement benchmarks
- Attend bi-weekly procurement forum with capacity to present when required
Provide administrative support to Nigeria CO with the following expected results:
- Oversee Contract, Lease Agreement, MOU, and all contract amendment/extension
- Established and maintaining procurement matrix for effective monitoring of ongoing contracts, MOUs and Lease Agreement
- Plan and organize office events including retreats, meetings and other events and ensure that all participants are informed in advance and that the necessary logistics is in place including booking of venues, hotels etc
- Supervise the work and manage the performance of the Administrate support staff
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to general administrative operations, contributing to OCHA’s best practices.
- Letters and other correspondence relating to administrative activities drafted and related reports prepared for internal use
Provide Travel support to Nigeria CO with the following expected results:
- The National Administrative Officer has the role as Travel Administrator, thus he/she will take responsibility to submit Travel Requests/Expense Reports into OCHA ERP system “Umoja”.
- Prepare travel requests (TR) and expense report (ER) on behalf of national staff in OCHA ERP system “Umoja”.
- Closely follow up on all issues related to staff travel (domestic & international) and office/staff compliance with the security procedures
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or the equivalent) in Business Administration, Accounting or in a similarly related field.
- Professional qualifications in finance/accounting/Administration and knowledge of UN financial rules and regulations are added advantage.
- Up to 2 years of relevant professional experience in business/public administration, finance, Human Resources or other related areas.
- Good knowledge on Procurement / Supply Chain Management Administration/Operations is required. Experience working with the UN or other international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in using UN ERP system (Umoja) in the area of procurement and travel is highly desirable. Good computer skills (Windows, MS Word, Excel/Spread sheets, the internet/Web) is required
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is an advantage. Knowledge of local language (Hausa) desirable.
- Achieve Results – LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively – LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously – LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility – LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination – LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner – LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion – LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Management – Monitoring : Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
- Business Management – Customer Satisfaction/Client Management : Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Entrepreneurial Thinking : Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
- Business Direction & Strategy – Effective Decision Making : Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Business Management – Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels
- Business Development – Integration within the UN : Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
- Business Management – Operations Management:Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledqe of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Application Closing Date
27th May, 2022, 04:59 AM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.