African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Country Programme Officer, COMW
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Position N°: 50066256
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. Within regional development, integration and business delivery complex the Bank has five (5) regional hubs one in each region: South Africa, North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, and Central Africa. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General.
The Hiring Department:
- The various Country Office falls within one of the five (5) Regions of the Africa Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs. The Hub oversees a combination of country and liaison offices, as well as non-presence countries.
- The Director General is accountable of the specific African region. Each Hub will house relevant operations, business development and project implementation functions and administrative capabilities in a shared service for rapid deployment into the individual countries, to help drive the overall business of the Bank effectively on the ground.
- Country Offices of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments, and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
- The Principal Country Programme Officer will work closely with the Country Manager to support Programme Implementation and Monitoring, the Country Program Officer provides facilitation to review, examine and evaluate the organization’s objectives, structure, procedures, policies and management systems.
- This is achieved through the evaluation of the efficiency and effectiveness of organizational programs, applying techniques such as management, organizational analysis, methods & procedures studies. The job also conducts planning and analyses of program and budget proposals to ensure conformity with the organization’s work program, strategic focus and budgetary objectives. Periodic reports to management summarizing findings and recommendations for changes based on these analyses are undertaken.
- The primary role of a Country Program Officer is to ensure a healthy and performing portfolio in the assigned Country. The Incumbent serves as the professional expert to support Country Manager with multiple work program and project activities. The role requires the continuous follow-ups with relevant task managers and prepare Country or Regional Portfolio improvement plans.
- As Country Program Officer, the incumbent provides advice and guides strategic planning through strategic analysis and results frameworks within the assigned country. The incumbent supports and provides input for the design and development of work programs/projects and activities based on the approved Complex strategy and results framework and provide expertise for budgeting of resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Country Manager, the Country Programme Officer undertakes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation of reports – Prepare on a quarterly basis, a summary of the Quarterly Portfolio Report for the Country Manager.
- Prepare on a monthly basis a synthesis of the implementation of the department work program and highlight the bottlenecks and proposed solutions.
- Monitor the implementation of the recommendations of the monthly portfolio flashlight reports.
- Budget Management – As Budget Coordinator or focal person to the department, play a coordination role for the preparation of the departmental work program and related budget jointly with Country Economists and Country Program Officers.
- Coordination – Coordinate the departmental submission through the use of the BRAG tool in coordination with country office CPOs.
- Coordinate overall portfolio management and operations programming.
- Monitoring – Follow-up and manage portfolio and operational activities.
- Follow-up on BDEV and project audit recommendations and requirements of the Board.
- Project & Work Program Management – Work with Sector Experts responsible for specific projects to ensure that solution to pending projects problems are resolved, and additionally serve as Secretary to the Country Team.
- Relationship Management – Serve as a corporate relationship manager for the Bank at the level of the Regional Hub.
- Serve as the focal point and spokesman on operational issues between the Regional Hub and external constituencies and borrowers.
- Compliance Management – Ensure that activity reports and audit reports comply with Bank requirements and are submitted on time.
- Ensure that the recommendations of supervision, portfolio review and audit missions are implemented.
- Provide effective oversight to project task teams on quality and compliance with Bank operational processes and procedures (including referring them to the relevant responsible staff in fiduciary, legal, safeguards, or other specialized areas);
- Oversee and support the work of Sector staff in undertaking country portfolio performance review processes with the Government and other Development Partners.
- Undertake quality control of key documents, participate in dialogue with Government, Regional or Country Economic Communities as required, and follow up on agreed actions.
- Support the Country Manager in ensuring country office team members actions comply with Bank Ethics, Regulations, Policies and guidance.
- Provide input to the preparation portfolio related to country briefs for Annual Meetings and other briefs to Management.
Coordination of Non-Lending Activities:
- Advice the Country Manager on strategic options as required to improve revenue generation and/or cost efficiencies. Work closely with the Country Manager and provide input to the yearly business planning and budgeting process, by considering the assigned Country’s needs & advising to ensure that work programmes are well constructed and aligned with Bank’s priorities that include but are not limited to income generation & operational priorities.
- Provide support in administering the Analytic and Advisory Activities and lending operations at various stages of preparation and provide inputs on such documentation. This function focuses on reviewing and assessing concept notes, draft appraisal reports, other operations documents and final outputs.
- Under the guidance of the Country Manager, establish and, strategically manage solid working relationships with the assigned country’s government, international development agencies, clients and key stakeholders.
- Support the Country Manager to manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Actively support the Country Manager to manage relationships with government and other Development Partners (DPs).
- Advises on and lead initiatives and strategies to foster effective and strong relationships with Government, Private Sector and Development Partners.
- Lead the Country portfolio performance review process with the relevant RECs/Government and other Development Partners that include responsibility for quality control of key documents, taking part in dialogue with RECs/Government and following up on agreed actions;
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of project outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Actively interact with task managers/relevant Bank units and the PIUs/government agencies to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the portfolio management.
- Provide feedback to the Country Manager on Bank policies, strategies and operational procedures, with an aim towards continuous improvement of Bank policies implementation;
- Incorporate lessons learned in project development and implementation.
- Support the Country’s efforts to improve the Bank’s visibility in the region.
- Represent and provide visibility when and where required for and including through organizing/participating in high profile events such as senior level visits, interviews, seminars, business events and conferences.
- Focus on ensuring high quality and performance of the Country’s portfolio;
- Ensure all reports and submissions are timely and of high quality;
- Work jointly with relevant country teams and managers to meet KPI assigned targets; and
- Play a key role and advise within the assigned Country on economic, political, social and other developments relevant to the Bank’s operations in the country.
- Championing the Complex / Regional mandate and purpose – Provide a direct and indirect operational support that contributes to the Region or Country output and mandate of the Complex.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Engineering, Agriculture/Forestry, Business Administration, Public Administration and knowledge of development issues.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank, with a similar development institution or the public service;
- Experience in the practice of procurement of goods/works, and the acquisition of consultancy services under donor funding conditions;
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Relevant and required experience gained on the African continent;
- Experience gained within multilateral development finance institutions.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation and/or review of operations in a multilateral financial institution;
- Innovation & Creativity
- Client Orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- Professional Expertise
- Relationship management skills
- Influencing skills
- Takes Initiative/Spotting Opportunity/Pushing Strategy
- Highly organised & structured
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, with an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to identify and create meaningful linkages across sectors
- Operational Effectiveness skills using all the systems, procedures and culture within the organization for required results delivery.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Highly developed negotiation skills proven to yield positive outcomes with senior counterparts, both internal and external, and understands when and how to apply tact, influence, maintain a hard line, make or break contacts, understand unwritten lines of influence and conduct oneself accordingly.
Executing for Results:
- High level of expertise in managing portfolio performance
- Make effective, timely and well-determined interventions for results delivery.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Client and results orientation, with strong analytical and communication (both verbally and in writing) skills, responsiveness, sense of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to build successful teams, relationships and partnerships with a broad range of clients, internal and external, for effective delivery of results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the institution.
- Ability to provide comprehensive thought Leadership on Programme Delivery and related issues
- Mentorship/Coaching Skills
- People Management skills
- Communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Application Closing Date
7th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- This position is classified as international recruitment and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.