Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: OT Nurse
Location: MSF OCA, NOMA Project, Sokoto
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Organise and carry-out all nursing activities related to the operating theatre (OT) running, according to MSF health protocols, universal hygienic standards and in coordination with the surgeon and anesthetist, in order to ensure a smooth functioning of the surgical activities (pre, during and post-operative care) offered to patients.
- Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the OT and carry-out the reception, transport of the patient from the preparation room to the OT and ensuring his/her installation for surgery.
- Assist the surgeon and anaesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and helping throughout the whole process.
- Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anaesthetist.
- Organize the patient’s transport and installation from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry-out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, OT’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the OT for next surgical intervention or any emergency.
- Implement and follow-up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. I.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remain in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.).
- Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the OT in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients. and train NS where applicable
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Follow user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT, in order to ensure an efficient and rationale use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration.
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
- Participate in data and reporting.
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Work both in Main and Minor OT, assist in surgery and wound debridement.
- Supervise and actively participate in quality wound care for all Noma patients in the Minor OT and ensure wound care is carry-out according to MSF standards and protocols
- Participate in the planning on daily operation schedule during intervention period
- Work in collaboration with the psychosocial team in preparing patients for painful procedures such as wound dressings
- Work in collaboration with IPC supervisor to follow up on IPC measurements and hygiene in the OT
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the OT (carry-out inventories, checking its quality and its functioning)
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and document in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information
- Work in collaboration with nursing activity manager, project pharmacy technician and medical team leader to ensure availability and control of equipment for intervention period and storage of this equipment after intervention period
- Participate in planning and implementation of other medical activities in the project in collaboration with other members of the medical team
- Will be required to work in IPD as a nurse in between intervention when OT is less busy or at any time when asked by supervisor
- Participate in patient education
- Attend ward rounds on Monday and Friday
- Carry-out on-the-job training for OT staff on equipment, sterilization and other procedures according to MFS protocols
- Attend medical and department meetings as scheduled.
- Give feedback to the nurse supervisor/NAM on regular basis.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge
To apply for this role applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Nursing diploma with specialization as a theatre nurse essential.
- Desired Bachelor in Science of Nursing
- Desirable 2 years experience. Having worked in MSF or other NGO’s and in developing countries is desirable.
- Local language essential. Mission language desirable
- Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork & Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF principles, Service Orientation.
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted ONLINE will be accepted.
- Lastly, only ONE online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will NOT be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization.