Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Location: Jahun, Jigawa
Contract: 208 working hours per month with roster flexibility
- Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, not-for-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in distress, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
- Implement gynaecological and obstetrician procedures, performing any other prior treatment required, during or immediately after a woman has given birth in order to improve women’s reproductive health and to reduce pregnancy, delivery and neonatology risks. This will be done in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in multidisciplinary collaboration with other medical doctors and midwife services
- Provide health care related to gynaecology and obstetrics to patients in the project, including prevention, diagnosis and treatment
- Provide emergency obstetric care in maternity:
- Daily ward rounds in maternity with the medical and midwifery teams
- Ensure new admissions are assessed and receive an appropriate management
- Assist in the management of complicated deliveries and care of pathologies.
- Assess patients requiring any procedure e.g. instrumental delivery, intrauterine aspiration/curettage, caesarean section. Prepare them for theatre in conjunction with maternity and OT staff including informed consent of patient and caregiver
- Ensure clear documentation and communication of the patient’s status is done by all members of the team
- Participate in the on-call roster and provide support and bedside training to the member of the team on duty
- Daily rounds and management of ICU patients in collaboration with the Expat med Anesthetist
- Participate in the ward round in hospitalization (annex)
- Perform in OT
- Share the tasks with national GPs in the management of obstetric patients; support clinical thinking and decision making, ensure safe management, and coach GPs.
- Work in collaboration with obstetrics consultants from Kano teaching hospital (AKTH).
- Ensure in collaboration with the medical activity manager/MTL the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols related to gynaecology and obstetrics in order to minimize clinical risk and to extend best reproductive practices.
- In collaboration with other medical colleagues, carry out the collection of quantitative gynaecological data and ensure exhaustive use of management tools in order to improve gynaecological results and to share knowledge among other field specialists.
- Participate in the maternal mortality review process / Nearmiss( record in the dedicated tool, analysis and presentation)
- Can be involved in the Plan and supervision of the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the gynaecological staff or other staff in order to ensure both an efficient sizing and the amount of knowledge required, to improve people’s capabilities and their active participation in influencing the targeted population using preventive practices. This will be done in close coordination with the HR department.
- Participate in collaboration with the head nurse and the Midwife manager in the maintenance and running of the gynaecological equipment and drug consumption, preparing new orders when required and ensuring its rational use as well as that pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and available. This will be done in cooperation with the pharmacist and logistic staff, the management.
- Specialist Degree in Gynecology.
- 2 years previous experience in Gynecology practice
- Previous experience with MSF or other INGO’s
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Hausa is an asset
- Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel).
- 208 working hours per month with roster flexibility.
Application Closing Date
21st September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only successful applicants will be called for the next steps and are obligated to disclose any information about family member(s) currently in the employ of MSF-France in any location.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the MSF recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring a candidate having benefitted from any such acts. All illicit demands may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages any Nigerian citizen to apply irrespective of race, gender, religion, creed, political affiliation.