Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Assistant
Reference No.: 210003B7
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: Nutrition Officer
Reporting to this Post: None
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Provide support to Field Assistants in different Projects Communities in implementing nutrition interventions (Community Management of Malnutrition [CMAM] and Infant and Young Child Feeding [IYCF]) as agreed with the donor.
- The Nutrition Assistant will also work with the Local Partners (EYN Nutrition Officers and Field Assistants) in ensuring quality delivery of nutrition interventions in the Project locations.
- The post holder will receive a context specific ToR for each deployment, which will draw upon the responsibilities outlined below.
- Programme Support (typically will be at field level): Working closely with the Nutrition Coordinator, the Nutrition Program Officer will do the following:
- Ensure quality of nutrition screening for children under-5 conducted by Community Nutrition Mobilizers in target Communities.
- Provision of Outreach OTP Services in target communities together with the outreach team.
- Ensure quality of IYCF counselling sessions provided during Support group meeting.
- With support from the Nutrition Officer, ensure quality cooking food demonstration sessions are conducted in Project supported Communities.
- Build capacity of CNMs and Mother Leaders by providing on-the-job training on CMAM and IYCF.
- Support Project level nutrition assessment/surveys as approved by Donor.
- Support quality data collection of activities conducted in the Communities.
- Promote increasing awareness of appropriate nutrition behavior in project communities by ensuring behavior change materials are visible in supported communities and health facilities.
- Support the development of case studies and success stories from programme implementation.
- Provide maternal and child care/feeding key messages to beneficiaries of food program during food distribution.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Provide on-the-job guidance to Field Assistants and Community Nutrition Mobilizers working on the field.
- Ensure all Field Assistants and Community Nutrition Volunteers are familiar with their posts.
Qualifications Experience and Skills
- Certificate or Degree in Nursing, Nutrition, Public Health or any related fields.
- Experience of working in Nutrition programme.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Acceptable IT Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Qualified Nurse / nutritionist with primary health care / community health care experience.
- Fluency in speaking Hausa and/ other local language.
Skills and Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Works closely and constructively with many colleagues at all levels and across cultures, influencing effectively while having little formal authority and to hold peers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Proactive, forward thinker who is able to plan ahead and anticipate requirements and problems
- Maintains a calm disposition and positive outlook when working under pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy as well as with others.
- Fully appreciates of the value of cooperation, both internationally and within a team.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions and cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach.
- Thinks creatively and strategically and translates strategy into practical action.
- Analyses complex information from different sources and to synthesis this information into coherent briefs and communication documents.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence. Displays consistent and excellent judgement.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills with proven experience of relationship management with stakeholders.
- Passion and commitment to the values of Save the Children.
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.