The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is a leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant: Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) – UNFPA 8th Country Programme (2018 – 2022) Evaluation – Abuja – NOC
Job ID: 39297
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Level of Post: NOC
Contract Type: National Consultant
Duration and Working Schedule: 45 Working Days – Working schedule – 25 working days from home and 20 working days in the UNFPA office, Abuja.
Scope of Work:
- The Country Programme Evaluation will focus on geographic, thematic and temporal scopes of the CP; and cover both programmatic analysis and strategic positioning analysis. It is expected to provide answers to a number of evaluation questions, which are derived from key evaluation criteria of relevance, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability, while giving particular attention to the humanitarian aspects that the country has faced during the life of the programme.
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates national of Nigeria that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Monitoring of the Evaluation Process:
- Consultants are to work closely with the Evaluation Manager/M&E Specialist and provide weekly progress report and feedback to the Deputy Representative by close of business every Monday.
- Weekly narrative result-based progress report
- End of consultancy report
- Attendance records
- End of consultancy assessments
- In line with the UNFPA Evaluation Handbook, the Evaluation manager/M&E Specialist in the UNFPA Nigeria CO will be responsible for the management of the evaluation and supervision of the evaluation team. In line with the Country Office organogram, evaluation manager will oversee the entire process of the evaluation, from the preparation to the facilitation of the use and the dissemination of the evaluation results under the guidance of the Assistant Representative and overall supervision of the Deputy Representative.
- Travels to and from duty station
- Travels to agreed select destination for data collection, on the basis of necessity and in line with Covid-19 pandemic protocol as well as security situation both globally, nationally and locally.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- The integrated SRHR expert will provide expertise on integrated SRH services, HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, maternal health, obstetric fistula, family planning, and midwifery.
- The SRHR expert will also provide expertise on youth-friendly SRHR services, adolescent pregnancy, SRHR of young women and adolescent girls, and access to contraceptives for young women and adolescent girls.
- S/he will contribute to the methodological design of the evaluation and take part in the data collection and analysis work, with overall responsibility of contributions to the expected deliverables in her/his thematic area of expertise.
- S/he will provide substantive inputs throughout the evaluation process by contributing to the development of the evaluation methodology, evaluation work plan and agenda for the field phase, participating in meetings with the Evaluation Manager, UNFPA Nigeria CO staff and the ERG.
- S/he will undertake a document review and conduct remote and/or in-person interviews and group discussions with stakeholders, as agreed with the evaluation team leader.
- In addition, he/she will work under the Lead consultant and with 3 other experts during the period of evaluation.
Educational Qualifications and Experience
The competencies, skills and experience of the SRHR expert should include:
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Health Economics and Financing, Epidemiology, Biostatistics or a related field.
- Seven (7) years of experience in conducting evaluations, reviews, assessments, research studies or M&E work in the field of international development and/or humanitarian action.
- Substantive knowledge of sexual and reproductive health and rights, including access to sexual and reproductive health information, maternal health, Obstetric Fistula, HIV, and ASRH and education for adolescents and youths.
- Preferred good knowledge of humanitarian strategies, policies, frameworks and principles as well as the international humanitarian architecture and coordination mechanisms.
- Ability to ensure ethics and integrity of the evaluation process, including confidentiality and prevention of harm to evaluation subjects.
- Ability to consistently integrate human rights and gender perspectives in all phases of the evaluation process.
- Solid knowledge of evaluation approaches and methodology and demonstrated ability to apply both quantitative and qualitative data collection methods.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken), facilitation and knowledge-sharing skills.
- Work experience in/ good knowledge of the national development context of Nigeria
- Familiarity with UNFPA or other United Nations organizations’ mandates and operations will be an advantage.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Commitment to UNFPA’s Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Job knowledge/technical expertise
- Adaptation/application of knowledge in different contexts
- Integration in a multidisciplinary environment.
Appliaction Closing Date
27th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- A detailed terms of reference on the UNFPA, nigeria 8th country programme (2018 – 2022) evaluation will be shared with selected consultant
- Please note that this vacancy announcement is only for Nigerian Nationals.
- UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life.
- We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
- UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.