Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Reports Directly to: Operations Coordinator
Works Directly with: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations team
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation.
- In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities in northeast Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender-sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The Logistics Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in Maiduguri the northeast, under the direct supervision of the Operations Coordinator based in Maiduguri.
- As part of his/her responsibilities, the Logistics Officer will undertake tasks under warehousing, commodity tracking, assets management, administration, logistics and security working in close collaboration with all Mercy Corps staff in Nigeria program.
- S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Asset Management Manual and all procedures;
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets;
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Maintain the asset records for the field office and liaise with Abuja for a centralized assets inventory
- Ensure all the items bought that fall under the Asset category according to MC Policies are properly registered on the Asset Register with all the required information
- Maintain a softcopy and manual filing system of the Asset Register for Maiduguri Office
- Liaise with all staff on Assets Management, movement and monitor if the register is properly maintained and matches with the softcopy.
- Ensure quarterly reviews and physically crosscheck the Asset Register with the assets to ensure the asset tags are available on the assets and update the assets condition – depreciation if applicable
- Advise Operations Manager Maiduguri on any broken, damaged or destroyed equipment.
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines;
- Support the deep field Operation Officers in fleet management and able to step-in in this role
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy and have proper onboard vehicle documentation.
- Maintain administrative vehicle files for each vehicle.
- Continuous tracking of vehicle log-sheets; responsible for monthly compilation of fuel consumptions.
- Schedule vehicle uses to meet programmatic and operational needs by maintaining vehicle movement board daily. Oversee and ensure proper use of the vehicles.
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with a gas station(s)
- Organize regular service schedules for vehicles and maintain service schedule files.
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Track vehicle expenses in accordance with the respective procurement policy.
- File Monthly Vehicle Consumables sheet for each vehicle separately.
- Order and maintain stock of spare parts and consumables.
- Manage drivers’ leave schedules ensuring smooth operation of the fleet.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure proper tracking of drivers HR files.
- Ensure drivers are licensed and trained.
- Coordinate with drivers to ensure regular vehicle communications is in place.
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
- Ensures that security incident reports are completed and filed including all vehicles’ related incidents.
- Ensures that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Read and has a clear understanding of the Mercy Corps Field Administration Manual and all procedures;
- Support the Administrative Officers in running offices and ability and readiness to step-in when required
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail, goods and equipment.
- Support that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests and liaison with outside agencies.
- Support that office has sufficient office supplies.
- Support the management of office consumables (office materials like stationery, cleaning & hygiene.
Warehousing and Commodity Management:
- Ensure that warehouse policies are followed as described in the policies and procedure manual
- Establish and maintain pipelines of supplies, oversee commodity storage and movement
- Ensure proper warehousing documentation and ensure that commodity tracking is in place
- Provide accurate monthly reports across Maiduguri and all deep field offices.
Support to deep field offices:
- Provides support to deep field offices, including transportation, fleet and warehousing management
- Obtain security clearances for the movement of goods and equipment to deep field offices including relevant documents.
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Carries out other duties as assigned by supervisor. The Logistics Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Technical support for all operations in the deep field offices and Security Company.
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 3 years experience
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online