The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Local Individual Consultant (Basic Social Services) for Evaluation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: 24-Aug-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 40 Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 40 Days
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Duties and Responsibilities
- The evaluation scope will cover the UNSDPF implementation from January 2018 to the 2nd Quarter of 2021. It will also examine the UNSDPF cross cutting issues and UN programming principles including LNOB, human rights, gender equality, equity and women’s empowerment, youth engagement, disability inclusion, sustainability and resilience, and accountability.
- The evaluation will consider emerging issues related to the changes in government, Boko Haram insurgency, banditry, herders/farmers conflict and the COVID-19 pandemic (e.g UNCT responsiveness, adaptation and reprioritization) as well as operations issues (e.g methods for managing stakeholder participation and inclusiveness in the COVID-19 context).
- The UNSDPF evaluation will not evaluate any individual programme or activities of a specific UN agency. However, the evaluation will be conducted at the strategic level looking at the UNSDPF as a portfolio of different interventions at outcome and output levels.
- The geographic scope of this evaluation will be at national level and the 5 Delivering as One (DaO) States (Bauchi, Cross River, FCT, Lagos and Sokoto state).
- One foreseen limitation will be the travel restriction due to the on-going global pandemic (COVID-19). At the inception phase, the evaluation will ascertain the feasibility of field visits and develop a mitigation plan if access to project sites is not possible. Another potential limitation will be the availability of staff and stakeholders however this risk can be partially managed by organising remote interviews with these identified stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Master or PhD) in Public Health, Social Sciences, Education, Development Studies, Business Management, or other relevant fields.
Years of Experience:
- Conversant with Nigeria’s development and humanitarian context (especially the socio-political and institutional context)
- Sound knowledge of UN’s mandate and experience of partnering with the Government of Nigeria.
- Proven experience in governance processes, policy analysis and implementation in Nigeria
- The ability to translate data collection tools and conduct interviews in local language of the geographic area if required.
- Proven experience in planning, managing risks, monitoring and evaluation processes based on RBM, HRBA and gender mainstreaming.
- At least 5 years’ experience in conducting evaluations and analyzing quantitative data. Having conducted evaluations with UN agencies adhering to the UN Evaluation Group is an asset.
- Demonstrated analytical, communication and technical report writing skills;
- Strong working knowledge of the UN and its mandate in Nigeria
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement.
Documents To Be Included When Submitting The Proposals
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work (if applicable)
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
- Academic Qualification: (University degree – Masters or PHD) in Public Health, Social Sciences, Education, Development Studies, Dusiness Management, Economics, or other relevant fields: (10 Marks)
- Years of experience in conducting evaluations and analysing quantitative data (at least 5 years): (10 Marks)
- Demonstrated understanding of issues related to development and humanitarian programming in Nigeria (20 Marks)
- Familiarity with M&E process based on RMB, RHBA and gender mainstreaming (20 Marks)
- Familiarity with UN Reforms (10 Marks)
- Excellent communication skills; (10 marks)
- Demonstrable analytical skills; (20 marks)
Application Closing Date
11th August, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.