Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
Here is the latest JAMB Syllabus for History 22023/2024. The JAMB History syllabus is the topic you must study for the UTME examination.
Using the JAMB syllabus to study for your examination is the open secret to getting a high score.
The JAMB History syllabus also contains objectives for each topic. These objectives are what you must know for every topic you study.
This post contains the complete list of topics in the JAMB History syllabus.
Let me know in the comment section if you have any questions.
JAMB Syllabus for History 22023/2024
Africa and The Wider World Since 1800
- Ethiopia in The 19TH Century
- The Great Trek
- The Mfecane
- The Omani Empire
- Apartheid in South Africa
- Patterns of Colonial Rule in Africa
- Problems of Nation-Building in Africa
- The New Imperialism and European Occupation of Africa
- The Politics of Decolonization
- Egypt Under Mohammed Ali and Khedive Ismail
- Islamic Reform Movements and State Building in West Africa
- Sierra Leone, Liberia and Christian Missionary Activities in West Africa
- The Mahdi and Mahdiyya Movement in The Sudan
- The Amalgamation of 1914
- Colonial Administration After the Amalgamation
- Nationalism, Constitutional Developments and Independence
- Social Development Under Colonial Rule
- The Colonial Economy
- The Establishment of Colonial Rule Up to 1914
Nigeria Since Independence
- Murtala/Obasanjo Regime
- Nigeria in International Organizations
- The Abacha Regime
- The Babangida Regime
- The Buhari Regime
- The Civil War
- The Gowon Regime
- The Interim National Government (Ing)
- The Politics of the First Republic and Military Intervention
- The Second Republic
The Nigeria Area 1800-1900
- British Conquest of the Nigeria Area
- European Penetration and Impact
- The Sokoto Caliphate
The Nigeria Area Up to 1800
- Early Centres of Civilization
- Economic Activities and Growth of States
- External Influences
- Land and Peoples of the Nigeria Area
- Origin and Formation of States in The Nigeria Area
JAMB Recommended Textbooks for History
- Abba, A (2006): The Politics of Mallam Aminu Kano, Kaduna Vanguard and Publishers.
- Ayandele, A. E. et al (1986): The Making of Modern Africa, The Twentieth Century Vol2., Longman.
- Ajayi and Crowther (1971): History of West Africa Vol. I, London, Longman.
- Ajayi and Crowther (1974): History of West Africa Vol. II, London, Longman.
- Akinloye, S. A. (1976): Emergent African States: Topics in Twentieth Century African History, Longman.
- Akinyemi, A. B., Agbi, S. O and Otunbanjo, A. O. (eds) (1989): Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 years. (International Relations) Vol x, Heinemann. Ibadan.
- Anene J. C. and Brown, G (1966): African in the 19th and 20th centuries, Ibadan: University Press.
- Anene J. C. (1966): Southern Nigeria in Transition, 1885 Â– 1906, Cambridge: University Press.
- Anene, J. C and Brown, G (eds) (1972): African in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries: A Handbook for Teachers and Students, Ibadan: University Press and Nelson.
- Ashiwaju A. I., Croder, M and Denzer, I. R. (eds) Tariki 25, Grassroots Leadership in Colonial West Africa, Vol. 7, London: Longman.
- Atanda, J. A. Ashiwaju, G and Abubakar, Y. (eds) (1989) Nigeria since Independence: The First Years: Religion Vol. i., Ibadan Heinemann.
- Barkindo, B. et al (1989): Africa and the Wider World, Vol. 1. Lagos: Longman.
- Barkindo, B. et al (1996): African and the Wider World, Vols. 2 and 3, Lagos: Longman.
- Boahen, A (1969) The Revolutionary years: Africa since 1800, Longman publishers.
- Boahen, A (1969): The Revolutionary years: West Africa since 1800, Longman Publishers.
- Sokoto Caliphate: History and Legacies, 1804 Â– 2004, vols. I and II, Kaduna: Arewa House.
- Celeman, J. S. (1986) Nigeria: Background to Nationalism, Benin: Broburg and Wistrom.
- Clerk, T. A. (1991): Right Honourable Gentleman: The Life and Times of Alhaji Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Zaria: Hudahuda Publishing Company.
- Cohen, D. I. and Daniel, J. (eds) (1981): Political Economy of Africa: Selected Readings, London, Longman.
- Crowther, M.West Africa:An introduction to its History, Longman,1977.
- Crowther, M. Nigeria: An introduction to its History, London:Longman,1979.
- Dike, K. O. (1956): Trade and Politics in the Niger Delta, London: Oxford University Press.
- Ekeh, P. P and Ashiwaju, G. (eds) (1989): Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years: Culture, Vol. VII, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Falola, T. et. al (1989): History of Nigeria Vol. I, Lagos: Longman.
- Falola T. et. al (1989): History of Nigeria Vol. 2 and 3, Lagos: Longman.
- Gboyega, A., Abubakar, Y and Aliyu Y. (eds) (1989): Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years Public Administration, Vol. III, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Hallet, R. (1975): Africa since 1875, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Hopkins, A. G. (1973): An Economic History of West Africa, Longman.
- Ikime, O and Osoba, S. O. (eds) Tarikh: Independence Movement in Africa (Part I), Vol. 3, No. 4 London: Longman.
- Ikime, O and Osoba, S. O. (eds) Tarikh: Government in Pre-Colonial Africa, Vol. 4, No. 2 London, Longman.
- Ikime, O and Osoba, S. O. (eds) (undated): Peoples and Kingdoms of West Africa in the Pre-colonial Period, Vol. 5, No. 1 London: Longman.
- Ikime, O and Osoba, S. O. (eds) (undated) Tarikh: Europeans Conquest and African Resistance (Part 2), Vol. 4, London: Longman.
- Ikime, O (1977) The Fall of Nigeria: The British Conquest, London: Heinemann.
- Ikime, O (ed) (1974) Leadership in 19th Century Africa: Essays from Tarikh, London: Longman
- Ikime, O. (1968) Merchant Price of the Niger Delta, London: Heinemann.
- Ikime, O. (ed) (1980) Ground work of Nigerian History, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Iseihei, E. (1983) A History of Nigeria, London: Longman.
- Jorre, J. D. (1972) The Nigeria Civil War, London: Hordder and Stoughton.
- Kani, A. M. and Gandi, K. (1990) A State and Society in the Sokoto Caliphate, Series I, Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto.
- Mahdi, A., Kwanashei, G. A and Yakubu M. (eds) (1994) Nigeria: The state of the Nation and the Way Forward, Kaduna: Arewa House.
- Martin, P. M and Omera, P. (1995) (eds) Africa (Third Edition), Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Mohammed, B. (1982) Africa and Non-alignment: A study in the Foreign Relations of New Nations, Kano: Triumph Publishers.
- Mohammed A. S. and Adamu, S.(eds) (2005) Nigeria and the Reform of the United Nations, Zaria: Hanwa.
- Nzula, A. T., Potekhin and Zusmanovich (1979) Forced Labour in Colonial Africa, London: Zed Press.
- Offiong, D. A. (1980) Imperialism and Dependency: Obstacles to Development, Enugu: Fourth Dimension Publishers.
- Ojigbo, O. (1982) Shehu Shagari: The Biography of NigeriaÂ’s First Executive President, Yugoslavia MlandiskaKnjiga.
- Okafor, I. (1989) History for Senior Secondary Schools, Onitsha, Jet Publishers.
- Oliver, T. and Afmore, A. (1996) Africa since 1880 (Fourth Edition) New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Olusanya G. O. (1973) The Second World War and Politics in Nigeria, 1939 Â– 1953, Ibadan: Evans.
- Omar O. (1966) The Zulu Aftermath: A Nineteenth-Century Revolution in Bantu Africa, London: Longman.
- Omolewa, M. (1986) Certificate History of Nigeria, Lagos: Longman.
- Onoja, I. (1998) Peace-keeping and International Security in a Changing World, Jos: Mono Expressions.
- Onwubiko, K. (1983) School Certificate History of West Africa, Onitsha: African Â– First Publishers.
- Tamuno, T. N. and Atanda A. (eds) (1989) Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years. Vol. III, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Tamuno, T. N. and Atanda J. A. M. (eds) (1989) Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years. (Government and Public Policy), Vol. IV, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Tamuno, T. N. and Ukpabi, S. C. (eds) (1989) Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years (The Civil War years). Vol. IV, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Thompson, L. A. (2000) History of South Africa, Yale: Yale University Press.
- Usman Y. B. (ed) (1979) Studies in the History of Sokoto Caliphate, New York: Third Press International.
- Usman Y. B. (ed) (1981) The Transformation of Katsina, 1400 Â– 1883, Zaria: Ahmadu Bello University Press.
- Usman Y. B. (ed) and Alkali M. N. (1983) Studies in the History of Pre-Colonial Borno, Zaria: NNPC.
- Usman Y. B. and Kwanashei, G. A. (eds) Inside Nigeria History 1950-1970: Events: Issues and Sources (Presidential Panel on Nigeria: Since Independence), University of Ibadan.
- Usman Y. B. (ed) (1989): Nigeria since Independence: The First 25 Years: The Society Vol.I, Ibadan: Heinemann.
- Usman Y. B. (2002) Election Violence in Nigeria: The Terrible Experience, 1952 Â– 2002, Zaria: Abdullahi Smith Centre for Historical Research.
- Webster, J. B. and Ikime, O. (eds) Tarikh: Early African Christianity, Vol. 2. No. 1. London: Longman.
- Wilmot, P. F. (1980): Apartheid and African Liberation: The Grief and the Hope, Ife: University of Ife Press.
- Yakubu, A. M., Jumare, I and Saeed, A. G. (eds) (2005) Northern Nigeria: A century of Transformation, 1903 Â– 2003, Kaduna: Arewa House.
- Yakubu A. M. (2006) Emirs and Politicians: Reform, Reactions and Recrimination in Northern Nigeria, 1950 Â– 1966, Kaduna: Baraka Publishers.