The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: International Individual Consultant for Evaluation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Starting Date: 23-Aug-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 40 Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 40 Days
Additional Category: Sustainable Development and Poverty Reduction
Duties and Responsibilities
- The evaluation scope will cover the UNSDPF implementation from January 2018 to the 2nd Quarter of 2021. It will also examine the UNSDPF cross cutting issues and UN programming principles including LNOB, human rights, gender equality, equity and women’s empowerment, youth engagement, disability inclusion, sustainability and resilience, and accountability.
- The evaluation will consider emerging issues related to the changes in government, Boko Haram insurgency, banditry, herders/farmers conflict and the COVID-19 pandemic (e.g UNCT responsiveness, adaptation and reprioritization) as well as operations issues (e.g methods for managing stakeholder participation and inclusiveness in the COVID-19 context).
- The UNSDPF evaluation will not evaluate any individual programme or activities of a specific UN agency. However, the evaluation will be conducted at the strategic level looking at the UNSDPF as a portfolio of different interventions at outcome and output levels.
- The geographic scope of this evaluation will be at national level and the 5 Delivering as One (DaO) States (Bauchi, Cross River, FCT, Lagos and Sokoto state).
- One foreseen limitation will be the travel restriction due to the on-going global pandemic (COVID-19). At the inception phase, the evaluation will ascertain the feasibility of field visits and develop a mitigation plan if access to project sites is not possible.
- Another potential limitation will be the availability of staff and stakeholders however this risk can be partially managed by organising remote interviews with these identified stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Masters or PhD) in Public Administration, Development Studies, Business Management, Economics, International Relations / Law or other relevant field.
Years of Experience:
- At least 10 years of proven experience in leading development and humanitarian evaluations. Experience in the use of OECD/DAC criteria is a must.
- Extensive knowledge of, and experience in applying, qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods to research works
- Extensive knowledge of results – based management (RBM), monitoring and evaluation, and participatory monitoring and evaluation methodologies and approaches.
- Knowledge of the UN System and proximity with UN programming process
- Good professional knowledge of the Nigerian developmental context.
- Regional Experience/ professional experience of conducting programme evaluation / review of programmes and/or outcome levels with international organizations, preferably in the West African Region
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Demonstrated analytical, communication and technical report writing skills;
- Strong working knowledge of the UN and its mandate in Nigeria
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement.
Documents To Be Included When Submitting The Proposals
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work (if applicable)
- Personal CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references
- Academic Qualification: (University degree – Masters or PHD) in Public Administration, Development Studies, Business Management, Economics, International relations / Laws or other relevant fields: (10 Marks)
- Years of experience in leading development and humanitarian evaluations (at least 10 years): (20 Marks)
- Extensive knowledge of results – based management (RBM), monitoring and evaluation, and participatory monitoring and evaluation methodologies and approaches. (20 Marks)
- Good professional knowledge of the Nigerian developmental context. (10 Marks)
- Regional Experience/ professional experience of conducting programme evaluation / review of programmes and/or outcome levels with international organizations, preferably in the West African Region (10 Marks)
- Familiarity with UN Reforms (20 Marks)
- Excellent communication skills; (10 marks)
Application Closing Date
11th August, 2021 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.