Apply for International Identity Day Design Competition 2021. International Identity Day – In recognition of our 4th anniversary commemorating International Identity Day (ID-Day) on September 16, ID4Africa, as a founding member of the Identity Day Coalition, is inviting African Digital Artists to participate in our first-ever Design Competition.
Applications are invited for:
Title: International Identity Day Design Competition
About the Competition
- The purpose of the design is to promote ID-Day with an impactful image that will both inspire and encourage the worldwide community to rally around this important cause. As digital artists, this will be your opportunity to use your creativity to raise awareness of identity as a key enabler of inclusive socio-economic development in all countries worldwide but most importantly in Africa.
- The winning design will become the official theme design for ID-Day 2021 which will be made accessible on our website for re-use by the international community to commemorate the occasion. The winner will receive a cash prize of US$3000.
- The competition is free and open only to African digital artists based in Africa. Proof of identity, nationality, and address will be requested before the award is issued.
- The competition is open to African Artists, Graphic Designers, Illustrators, and Photographers.
- Minors (children under 18) are eligible but must submit a Consent Form from a parent or legal guardian to qualify. Download Consent Form.
- Both Individual and group submissions are accepted. For group submissions, only one entry form should be submitted with the details of one group member.
- The organizer and judges are not eligible to participate in the competition.
The design should follow the specifications listed below:
- Horizontal: 2800 (w) x 1568 (h) pixels, 300 dpi in JPG, TIFF, PDF or EPS format. The winning design will be used primarily on social media and on several websites. If being printed, A3 or A5 specs will be used. Please consider these formats when creating your design.
- Your digital file must be higher than 1MB and less than 4MB in size.
- Cheerful and highly visible colors are suggested.
- Designs produced using the following techniques are eligible: Graphic design, illustration, photography, painting, typography, animation mixed media.
- However, please note all entries must be finalized in a digital format.
With the intention of promoting Identity Day, the design should include the following:
- The Identity Day logo (download here)
- Title: Happy International Identity Day 2021
- Date: 16 September (specifically using this format)
Selection of finalists and the winner will be conducted in two rounds:
Round 1 – Community Engagement (July 21-30):
- In this phase, members of the international identity community will be invited to vote online for the most representative design. The top 3 candidates who secure the highest overall vote will be selected as finalists for the next round.
Round 2 – Judges (The IIC) August 9-13:
- The ID4Africa Identity Council represented by ID4Africa Ambassadors who represent 48 African member states, will conduct the final vote. The artwork which gathers the highest vote will be declared the official ID-Day 2021 theme design.
Designs will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Expression showing an understanding of identity in the context of national development
- Whether the message and theme are clearly and easily understood
- Whether the art and message will prompt curiosity and discussion
- Artistic excellence, originality and creativity
- While the community at large will vote to select the finalists, it is our expectation that a design that reflects why identity is important for human development and why September 16 (commemorating SDG 16.9) is a day that deserves to be recognized by the worldwide community and by the UN General Assembly, would appeal to members of this Community.
- The winner must submit all files required for reproduction. Files will become the property of ID4Africa, the custodian of ID-Day, and the organizer of this competition.
- Designs should not portray pornographic, sexually explicit, violent, and/or racial content. Such designs will be automatically disqualified.
- The winner will need to submit a 1 min or less video that describes how an understanding of the importance of identity for individuals and his/her nation, inspired the design.
- Submissions by minors should be accompanied by a consent statement signed by the parent/ legal guardian authorizing the submission and pledging to adhere to the terms and conditions of the competition. Download Consent Form Here
- All designs submitted must be unpublished original pieces. Entrants will be disqualified for plagiarism.
- All entries must contain copyright-free art or be art released for entrant’s and public use. No unauthorized use of any copyright images, text, or other material will be accepted.
Mega Cash Prize is US$3,000.
Application Closing Date
16th July, 2021 at 11:59 PST.
Method of Application for International Identity Day Design Competition 2021
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Submit their Design
- Submissions must be made online
- Each participant is allowed to submit up to 3 designs.
- Files should be named as follows: Firstname_Lastname_Country_01/02_IDDay
- Entries must include a brief written “Artist Statement” (200 words maximum) explaining your inspiration and creative process in the context of Identity and Identity Day.
- High-quality images are required. Poor representation such as low resolution, blurred images etc., will reduce your chances of being selected.
- Designs should be submitted together in one application and not as separate entry forms. In the case of repeat entries, only the final entry will be accepted and retained.
- Following your submission, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this email within 24hrs, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org