The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Specialist (Substitution) – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-006S
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series / Grade: LE – 0305 10
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-10
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 5/5. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The position is a senior principal advisor at a post of 1326 positions: 285 US Direct Hire, 56 EFMs and 985 LE Staff positions of 14 ICASS agencies. Position holder advises on a myriad of complex issues related to HR management and provides supervision and daily guidance to 13 Human Resources LE Staff including 2 at the Consulate General Lagos.
- Position has expertise in full range of personnel functions. This includes recruitment, performance management, employee relations, Local Compensation Plan administration, Policy implementation and updates, Position Classification Advisor (PCA), position records for ICASS; staffing patterns, post training program, Awards, Special Immigrant Visa Program. Acts as the Contracting Officer Representative for the LE Staff Global Medial Contract (GMC), the Group Life Insurance Contracts and the Legal Service Agreements.
- Generates required reporting for management and State Department as required. Conducts salaries and wage surveys, provides responses from myriad of survey request from other diplomatic Missions and non-Governmental Organizations.
- Administers the LE Staff disciplinary and DriveCam programs for Mission Nigeria. Manages records for LE Staff and U.S. Direct Hires, Also, oversees personnel activities for American employees including processing of incoming and outgoing personnel.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A minimum of 2 years of university studies is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years progressive work experience in human resources management plus at least one (1) year of supervisory experience is required.
- Expert knowledge of wide range of Human Resources concepts, strategies, laws, regulations, policies, programs, and practices related to applicable Human Resources functional areas. (This includes staffing and recruitment, position classification, compensation, position management and work force analysis, employee relations, compensation, and benefits administration).
- Must have expert knowledge of local labor laws and host country human resources policies and practices. Expert knowledge of U.S. Government regulations; 3 FAM, Global Medical Coverage (GMC) Health Insurance Contract; Nigerian laws on Health Management Organizations and best practices, Department’s Local Employment Policy Guidebook, GTM/OE Policies and guidebooks is required.
- Incumbent must be an authority on Post policy on various HR issues with reference to the Local Compensation Plan (LCP) and the LE Staff Handbook.
- Expert knowledge of the Mission’s organizational structure, Human Resources administration at Post, Post Management Policies and Staff Notices on LE Staff administration, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Mission Classification and Job Evaluation is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent in Speaking/Writing/Reading English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess excellent managerial skills required for a large workforce; ability to plan, direct, organize, supervise, prioritize, and follow tasks through is required.
- Incumbent will be required to carry out duties with little or no supervision.
- Must have a personality which inspires confidence in local employees and permits effective working relationships with employees and supervisors
- Excellent customer service, counselling and communication skills are required.
- Ability to maintain confidentially while managing sensitive information.
- Position must be multi-task, cultivate and maintain a professional contacts at all levels within the public and private sectors. (host country’s Foreign Ministry, Ministry of labor, Other Diplomatic Missions, and Immigration Service).
- Incumbent must be creative, innovative, and resourceful in solving problems, especially where there is no precedence.
- Must possess the ability to make an in-dept analysis of problems and provide practical solutions within available resources.
- Excellent numerical skills, good working knowledge of MS Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint programs is required. Skills in using tools such as MClass, Overseas Personnel System (OPS), and Electronic Recruitment Application (ERA).
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required.
- Good numerical skills are required to process budgets and provide salary / compensation estimates.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
COVID-19 Requirements for Eligible Family Members
- As required by Executive Order 14043, Eligible Family Members who will be employed on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Temporary Appointment (TEMP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law.
- If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a medical or religious accommodation.
- Eligible Family Members who will be employed on a Personal Services Agreement and compensated under the USG pay plan will be required to attest to their vaccination status using the Vaccine Attestation Form.
- If you are not fully vaccinated or decline to provide this information, you will be required to demonstrate proof of a negative COVID-19 test completed within 72 hours of entry to a Mission facility and comply with enhanced COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
- If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding these requirements.
COVID-19 Requirements for Local Candidates
- Candidates who will be employed on either a Personal Services Agreement or a direct hire appointment and compensated under the Mission’s Local Compensation Plan will be required to follow all Mission COVID-19 policies applicable to Locally Employed Staff.
- If selected for the position, the agency will provide you additional information regarding these requirements.
NGN12,772,559 (USD 53,596) Annually.
Application Closing Date
4th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit (If applicable)
- University Transcripts
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.