The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources & Administration Manager
Job Identification: 3993
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Human Resources
Reports to: Head of Support
Supervision of: 1 HR Coordinator, 1 HR Officer
Project number: NGFX0000
Duration and type of contract: 12 Months – Fixed Term contract (with possibility of extension)
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the HR & Administration Manager is to oversee, manage, develop and strengthen all HR and Administration functions in order to provide robust, efficient and effective Human Resources and Administration support to the NRC Country Programme in Nigeria.
- With a special focus on HR Strategy development and effective Recruitment, Staff development, training and capacity building ensure HR system is according to NRC standard.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Country HR Strategy
- Implement NRC’s HR and admin systems and procedures
- Ensure that Country HR adheres to Employment standards, HR policy and other NRC policies.
- Ensure compliance with the local labour law.
- Training, support, control and development of HR teams.
- Support and training of all staff with HR responsibilities/ personnel management
- Management of the HR team.
- Provide regular HR analysis and reports.
- Ensure safe and standardized filing of personnel documents in all Area offices
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards & principles within NRC and amongst beneficiaries served by NRC.
- Implementation of the Global Standards and initiatives at Country and Area Office level (NRC People Management Systems, Talent Management, L&D initiative, Duty of care, PSEA…)
- Ensure HR function is strategic, responsible for in-country HR strategic priorities, take the lead on follow up on implementation
- Plan and feed into countrywide strategies and plans, working closely with senior management and programmes to ensure HR proactively meets the needs of the programme
- Responsible for ensuring Area Offices are complying with NRC HR standards and procedures,
- Pro-actively working to support Area Managers, HR Team Leads & HR Officers in running an effective HR function in the Area Offices
- Staff Care: Ensure a best-practice staff care programme for all staff is regularly reviewed, ensuring adequate staff care systems are in place and implemented across the country.
- National staff development and capacity building focusing on the Excellence Project.
- Support and guidance to the international staff/hiring managers on recruitment and HR procedures
- Strengthen the recruitment processes ensuring adherence to the minimum standards
- Strengthen training and inductions / on boarding and off boarding.
- Improve the quality of Performance management conducted by line managers across the Nigeria Country Office (embedding a culture of performance)
- Support managers in ensuring that all job descriptions are in accordance with the NRC standards and ensure that all standard Job Description templates are updated.
- Payroll: Ensures accuracy of payroll before transmission to the Finance team/Manager.
- Handling personnel cases according to guidelines and policies
- Focal point for working with the staff delegates/representatives in the team of national staff
- Office and accommodation management: (offices, residences and guesthouse).
- Premises contracts (office stationery) in close cooperation with Logistic.
- CO documentation: CO filing tree, NRC official documents (registration, legal services and documentation
- Work permit, immigration and visa (for staff, guest and consultancies)
- Staffing responsibilities or service contractors for: cleaners, receptionist, maintenance,
- Framework agreement: local travel agency, hotels, telecomm services.
- By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Support Managers/Heads of Units (HSS, Finance, Logistics, ICT, Risk & Compliance, AMs).
- Line Managers of all NRC departments.
- Regional and Head Office HR staff / advisors (Comp & Ben, Staff care, insurance, organisational structure)
- On matters of labour law the NRC Nigeria legal service provider.
- Staff Representatives & Staff Care Committees (Duty of Care & Welfare committee / groups).
Scale and Scope of position
- Staff: Direct reports: 1 HR Coordinator, 1 HR Officer (MDG), Dotted functional lines: 1 HR Team Lead (MDG), 1 HR Team Lead (Yola), 1 HR Officer (Plateau).
- Stakeholders: Build relations with other INGO’s, UN agencies on HR issues: local NGOs, governmental regulatory bodies – MBNPC, FIRS & revenue boards at state levels, NSITF, Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), HR Working Groups / Forums, Birches Group, staff care service providers (Life insurance, medical insurance, telecom service provider)
- Budgets: N/A
- Information: T reports, HR Filing tree in O365, NRC People Management systems, Agresso, Webcruiter, Kaya, NRC Intranet, NRC Work place.
- Legal or compliance: Ensure NRC Nigeria is in compliance with local labour law and NRC Global Standards: NRC Terms of Employment, Code of Conduct, HSS policies and all NRC Standard Operating Procedures.
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Degree Level: Master’s Degree.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working as a senior HR Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience in a large and dynamic country programme/
- Strong interpersonal skills, a team player coupled with capacity building skills and experience.
- Strong sense of initiative.
- Experience with building an HR structure.
- Experience in developing staff development is a plus.
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria is an added advantage.
Behavioural Competencies (max 6):
- Initiating action and change
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Strategic thinking
- Handling insecure environments.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template.
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility. At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract with possibility of extension
- Grade 9 in NRC scale
- Duty Station: Maiduguri with 50% travelling
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Application Closing Date
29th December, 2021 by 5:15 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.