Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria – We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group’s people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved. To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our values every day.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, IMO Nigeria & West Africa
Ref No: 2100032561
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Employee Status: Permanent
The Role Responsibilities
- Build Own Operate (BOO) IMO in the country in accordance with globally consistent standards, controls and levels of conduct & valued behaviours. Deliver significant improvement in frontline & client experience in terms of TAT, productivity and process improvements. Embed appropriate risk culture and standards of excellence. This will include strong emphasis and focus on:
- Accurate and efficient credit and client onboarding, management and off-boarding processes;
- Heightened awareness of AML risk, and associated controls;
- Oversight of the execution of CDD; and
- Management of quality Static Data
- Expansion into other process to support business and risk control objectives
Strategy & Execution:
- Lead implementation of the IMO in the country across GB and CB. Ensure that the model is scalable, best-in-class, client-focused and fit for purpose of client delight
- Right scoping the IMO model in terms of chalking out the activity inventory, capacity estimates, process flows, R&R and appropriate resourcing
- Engage all the relevant impacted teams across businesses, functions, and stakeholders to ensure IMO seamlessly integrates into the overall TOM of CIB and CB with minimal business disruptions
- Lead local capabilities for onboarding and client management activities (e.g. cross border documentation)
- Ensure alignment between onshore and offshore teams in accordance with the overall onshore-offshore client delivery model
- Reinforce synergy between countries, regions and hubs, through close communication and consistency of standards
- Spearhead the delivery of IMO change projects, improvement, remediation activities in the country
- Continuously work on the expansion of the scope of IMO including more processes and business segments, geographies
- Lead end to end IMO model for the country and strongly support GB and CB frontline to deliver beyond client expectations
- Ensure that the IMO is ably equipped with the best in class MIS, Performance Management tools, and utility functions
- Set and manage all relevant team budgets
- Develop awareness of business changes, predict challenges and identify opportunities to optimise people & processes and add value to client & frontline
- Serve as a thought leader for the processes under the IMO within the country
- Align the priorities of IMO with those of the business segments and country
- Set and Close collaboration with Group, Region and Country business and function stakeholders, shared utilities and other networks to achieve transparency and consistency of execution of the end state operating model, maintaining exemplary levels of conduct
- Effective relationship and key stakeholder management with and across the networks to identify and address issues/ concerns.
- Establish a clear and uniform approach towards implementation of the global operating model for all IMO related processes (CDD, Account Opening, Account Maintenance, S2B activation, Credit Documentation, MIS, and off-boarding), and adherence to DOIs
- Identify key processes for further streamlining, work on process improvements fine-tuning of the operating and organizational models, and ensure optimum delivery of processes in accordance with globally consistent standards, controls, and levels of conduct & valued behaviours
- Optimise ‘speed to market’ for all IMO processes with the aim to improve client experience, reduce ‘time to revenue’ without impact on control standards across the country
- Continuously improve productivity and efficiency of processes and people
- Drive a strong results-oriented IMO team supported by robust data-enabled performance management tools.
- Maintain oversight on and participate in the quality & timeliness of ‘Service Review Meetings’ (SRM) to be held every month between Business Teams & Country operating teams
People and Talent:
- Develop a highly engaged IMO team in the country. Have a strong oversight on talent management and hiring the IMO in the country
- Ensure a high-performance team and provide appropriate training with the aim to achieve optimum quality deliveries
- Employ, engage and retain high-quality people with succession planning for critical roles and appropriate recognition and reward for high performance / potential.
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values, embedding a high level of team engagement
- Set the appropriate tone and expectations for team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners, global process teams, and local business teams
- Ensure rollout of all IMO training programmes within the country for all staff executing relevant processes & foster cross-training of staff across managed areas
- Ensure implementation and tracking of performance metrics into the P3 of staff managed
- Formulate and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
- Ensure team structure / capacity is reviewed to enable effective delivery of operations & change agendas
- Ensure implementation of the OR Framework across managed processes
- Control operations to meet risk tolerance thresholds set for processes managed
- Proactively manage risks and establish/ monitor controls to improve the overall state of the risk management and operating framework in the country
- Work closely with Local Compliance, Credit, Legal, and Risk for guidance on complex policy/ risk issues and actively provide feedback for policy gaps and revisions required
- Provide insights and highlight risks/ mitigation to senior management, governance forums, and group teams based on understanding of country dynamics and MIS & analytics
- Manage in-country or other remediation’s as required to ensure capability, process, or data/ docs are brought up to a best in class standard over time.
- Responsible for delivering effective governance for IMO in the country in compliance with applicable internal policies and external laws and regulations
- Ensure that the risks are clearly identified and quantified, properly tabled in the appropriate forums and appropriate RCPS are done
- Ensure, lead, and monitor strict adherence to regulatory requirements, best practices, and a state of ever-readiness for audit & regulatory reviews, with respect to IMO responsibilities
- Ensure alignment of GBS teams and processes supporting the country
- Senior escalation point for stakeholders on process and governance-related issues in-country
- Represent the IMO function and act as an alternate to the Country Head of CIB in the relevant governance forums
- Delegated authorities passed on by RHGB and Regional Head IMO wherever required
- Work on the mechanism to track the key governance matrices set by Business Heads viz Segment Heads, CIB &CB Heads
- Coordinate across network to facilitate Local and Regional network business
Regulatory & Business conduct:
- Displaying exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Valued Behaviours and Code of Conduct.
- Taking personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, for self and managed staff. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Leading the IMO team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identifying, escalating, mitigating and resolving risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Region and Country GB / CB Heads
- Business CIB/CB Finance
- CIB/CB HR
- Operational Risk Teams
- Client Lifecycle Design Management Teams
- Regional and country COO/ CEO/ CIO teams
- GBS Hubs / Heads
- CB Regional / CB MT members
- Legal team; in-countries, Region and Group
- Credit & Risk teams; in-countries, Region and Group
- Client Managers & Credit Analysts
- Risk and Control Governance Functions ( e.g. CORC, CR etc…)
- Product Partners
- Regional FCC CDD Controls,
- Regional CDD Risk Managers,
- FCC, CDD CoE, Hubbed teams,
- Global COBAM network,
- COO Process owners and governance teams,
- Local regulators & other policymakers
- External auditors
- Industry forums
- Vendor partners & providers of IMO utilities & services
- Relevant Trade Associations
- Embedding Here for good and the Group’s brand and valued behaviours
- Performing other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
Our Ideal Candidate
- Interested candidates should possess relevant qualifications and work experience.
- Very good understanding of the business – preferably on the job business experience in CIB and CB
- Very good knowledge of the region – preferably a on-the job experience in the region
- Strong leadership skills – preferably an experience in leadership role in CIB and CB leading teams across countries.
- Good interpersonal skills in networking and influencing decisions.
- Good communication skills – oral, written and presentation
- Good product knowledge including the processes and procedures
- Strong project management skills – preferably a project experience in CIB and CB.
Application Closing Date
12:59:00 AM: 7th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online