The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Genetic Resources Centre
Project ID No: DDG–R4D/H/GRC/06/21
Duty Station: Ibadan, IITA Headquarters, Nigeria, Oyo
- Provide essential oversight, leadership and management of genetic resources conservation and research, at the Genetic Resources Centre, Ibadan, in the context of One CGIAR.
- Secure maintenance and preservation of the international collections maintained at IITA and update standard international operational procedures as appropriate.
- Maintain a strong research program on secure conservation methods for clonally propagated crops.
- Develop a strong research program on germplasm characterization, combining agro-morphological and molecular data with the objective of a) evaluating the diversity of the collections and b) developing decision support tools for optimization of germplasm management.
- Develop germplasm evaluation programs in collaboration with respective breeding programs.
- Work closely with the Germplasm Health Unit on germplasm indexing and sanitation.
- Supervise all germplasm exchanges and ensure harmony with the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
- Contribute to capacity building in the conservation and use of plant genetic resources worldwide.
- Lead a programme of work on enhancing germplasm use both directly and through breeding with a focus on climate change and nutrition.
- Establish or strengthen collaboration with national partners and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Communicate research results through peer-reviewed high-impact journals and other media.
- Participate in mobilization of resources to support research activities.
- Collaborate with breeding programs to enhance germplasm use.
- Take part in the development of global conservation strategies.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D.in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Conservation Biology or related fields from a highly recognized university.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in genetic resource conservation and use of seed and clonally propagated collections.
- Familiarity with in situconservation.
- Experience in management of Genebank operations with multiple species.
- Publication in high ranking scientific journals on ex situconservation of plant genetic resources, genetic resource diversity assessment or evaluation, or conservation of clonally propagated species.
- Experience with database management and application of genomic tools in germplasm management.
- Ability to create strong and sustainable links with diverse partners.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and team building skills.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with NARS scientists in the region is an added advantage.
- Proficiency with written and spoken English; knowledge of French is an asset.
IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- The initial appointment is for three years.
- Applications must include a Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resources”.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.