World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Assistant
Job ID: 2204784
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Objective of the Programme
- Country Management Support Units (CSUs) have been established in the organisational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
Description of Duties
Under the general supervision of the Programme, budget and finance officer and general guidance of the Operations Officer, the incumbent performs the following functions:
Support financial management through:
- Maintenance of financial records and financial transactions and ensure e-Imprest records are up-to-date and fully balanced
- Processing of VAT and other receivable due to the Organization to ensure that are promptly recovered e.g. Staff telephone bills
- Processing of suppliers’ invoices and monitors all requests for payments, ensuring that all supporting documents (invoices, contract, act of acceptance, etc.) are attached and properly signed, stamped and are in accordance with the delegation of authority, before making any payments.
- Liaison with GSC for all payments that are due to suppliers; Reconciliation of bank accounts; response to enquiries; provision of advice and guidance to clients in the Country Office and performing closely related tasks.
- Verification of financial transactions and returns e.g. DFCs, DIs, Travel Claims to the WHO country office for accuracy and compliance with the financial rules and regulations, manual and operating procedures of organization
- Management of correspondences and responses to queries on office accounts and financial transactions as required
- Generation of scheduled and ad hoc Global Management System reports and special reports as required to facilitate financial implementation analysis
- Advice and assistance to staff on various financial processes, controls and operations in the GSM environment
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Completion of Secondary Education or equivalent Technical Training or Commercial Education with specialization in Accounting, Budgeting or Finance
- Diploma or Higher Education in Accounting or Finance will be an advantage
- At least 10 years of experience in in finance, Budgeting and/or accounting activities and preferably with several years’ experience in WHO in an administrative cluster to have a sound knowledge of its rules, regulation, procedures and practices as related to the work
- Experience in other area such as Administration, Program Management, Procurement would be an asset. Experience in WHO in an administrative cluster to have a sound knowledge of its rules, regulation, procedures and practices as related to the work
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement inputs from several sources; to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; to conceptualize and carry out tasks with little supervision
- Ability to provide financial analytical reports, using appropriate software
- Ability to interpret financial rules and regulations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at N12,007,619 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
10:59 PM: 4th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct.
- To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.