The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Facility Maintenance Assistant – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-128
Series/Grade: FP – 1205 7
Promotion Potential: FP-7
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FS is 07. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agency.
- Security Clearance Required: Secret / Confidential Clearance
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Basic Function of the Position:
- The incumbent serves as a security escort and is responsible for developing the schedules for all security escort duties.
- The position accompanies Locally Engaged Staff (LES) and contractors into all required areas, including the CAA.
- When not escorting, he/she will assist with duties such as Work Order Clerk, substitute accountable Money Holder, Global Maintenance Management System (GMMS) database Assistant, Make-Ready Coordinator, and Preventive Inspector.
- S/he must be able to obtain a secret clearance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two (2) years of experience in the facilities maintenance or relevant management position is required.
- Must be able to interpret drawing, codes and specification.
- Must have a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and general computer skills.
- Completion of High School Diploma is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking / Reading / Writing English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to access construction sites, including climbing scaffold towers.
- A valid Nigerian driver’s license is required
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree with transcript
- Driver’s License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.