United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Specialist (Rapid Response Mechanism Coordinator)
Job ID: 540947
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Emergency Programme
Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Strategy Developed:
- Develop 2021 , Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Coordinator strategy complete with alert verification system, thresholds, timeframe, minimum packages and exit strategy.
- Identify and map areas of responsibility of implementing partners.
- Develop rapid assessment, post mission, AAP, and evaluation tools.
- Ensure Sector pipelines are stocked with necessary response items.
- Collaborate with HCT Specialists to introduce cash assistance RRM system.
Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) program with the implementing I/NGOs is coordinated, managed and implemented:
- Co-lead the governance structures of the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) and ensure regular communications both internally and externally.
- Conduct regular operational analysis, identify areas of poor performance, bottlenecks, and identify solutions such as design improvements, additional trainings and technical support.
- Ensure relevant analysis of complaints and feedback received through different sources and ensure implementing partners relevant follow up.
- Prepares relevant programme reports required for management, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) program fully funded and donors are satisfied with its implementation and results:
- Elaborate and monitor an annual RRM budget;
- Monitor grants to ensure funds are allocated and utilized as per the proposal and quality reports are done according to plan including the visibility components;
- Fundraise to cover the gap in RRM funding through regular communications/advocacy with Donors and prepare quality concept notes and proposals; and
- Develop a Donor strategy specific for RRM.
Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) program is well incorporated into the humanitarian landscape and well respected by the humanitarian actors and beneficiaries:
- Ensure that quality assessments are completed and are shared with the Humanitarian Community as per agreed thresholds/approaches.
- Liaise with ISWG/OCHA and humanitarian community to advocate for assessment results and identified needs to be addressed as per agreed thresholds/approaches.
- Ensure the RRM approach works within the existing sector approach and framework.
- Ensure there is a good understanding of the RRM at the Field Level and staff are kept abreast of RRM partner agreements including any potential end user monitoring and technical support;
UNICEF Programs are supported to enable rapid response through direct implementation or partnerships:
- Support and provide recommendations to UNICEF programs on system strengthening and program approaches for rapid response mechanisms.
- In coordination with the Sector Coordinators, support UNICEF programme sections in identifying key “hot spot” locations / emergency Local Government Areas (LGAs) for preparedness and rapid response.
- Support UNICEF programme sections in mapping available services and actors who can support rapid response and whom UNICEF should establish stand-by partnership with.
- Support programs in identifying operational gaps and needs (i.e. Long-Term Agreements, prepositioning, etc..) and provide recommendations and actions to address them.
- Support UNICEF sections and key partners (including line ministries) for capacity building on Rapid Response Mechanisms.
- Liaise with UNICEF sections including Emergencies as Provider of Last Resort.
- The Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) Coordinator may be requested to support other initiatives outside the North East based.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Advanced University Degree in International Development / Relations, Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Law, Public Health, Nutrition, or other related disciplines required.
- First University Degree with additional two-years of relevant field-based work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in in programme / project development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration with UN and/or INGOs. The ideal candidate would have had field-based experience in minimally 2-3 countries outside of country of origin, and particularly in emergency context for at least two years.
- Experience in multi-sector emergency programme implementation and emergency system strengthening in conflict settings
- Previous experience implementing and/or coordinating an Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) is highly desirable.
- Experience in use of cash in emergencies is highly desirable.
- Experience in multi-stakeholder co-ordination/Sector/Cluster Coordination and facilitation is highly desirable.
- Effective communication, networking and organizational skills and ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in response to rapidly changing needs; and ability to work in difficult circumstances.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Innovates and embraces change
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others.
Application Closing Date
20th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Qualified Female Candidates are especially encouraged to apply.