Lagos Business School is committed to creating and transmitting management and business knowledge based on a Christian conception of the human person and of economic activity relevant to Nigeria and Africa at large. We strive to be a world class business school which will have a significant impact on the practice of management.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Sustainability
Job Code: DS2O22
- The Director leads the mission of the Centre and provides strategic and operational direction to drive and advance LBS’ goal of influencing management practice in sustainability, responsible business and management.
- The Centre activities should be directed in a way that supports high potential professional knowledge which stresses professional ethics, impacts on society, the environment and service to the community through the practice of management.
- The Director shall define and execute the delivery of the Centre’s strategy within the context of the School’s Strategic Plan.
- He/She shall be responsible for the Centre’s intellectual contributions which: (i) support the practice of sustainability management; (ii) contribute to the advancement of the sustainability practices in management disciplines and practice by engaging c-suite executives, senior managers and sustainability professionals in the public, private and social sectors, and (iii) support LBS research community to create high-quality teaching materials and research outputs.
- The Centre should be known for advancing corporate sustainability thinking, practice and delivery in Nigeria and Africa at large.
- The ideal candidate should be a thought leader and have a passion for sustainable development, corporate sustainability, and research.
- He/She should also understand the role the Centre plays in the larger Lagos Business School mission, focus, and values.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Lead engagements and forge close working relationships with companies, government, entities, and organizations to oversee the end-to-end design and implementation of projects focused on improving the practice of sustainability in Nigeria and Africa
- Build a coherent portfolio of impact-focused work with attention to strategic ambition, project quality, risk management, robust evidence generation, and sound budget management.
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the Centre by leading on the development of new engagements and supporting strategic partnerships in the development of new funding
- Provide vision and leadership around how technical assistance might be delivered more
- Ensure Centre programmes benefit from high-quality technical expertise and advice obtained through either in-house expertise or consultants or a combination of both, as relevant for the individual programmes and
- Lead initiatives internally and with external partners to deepen understanding of sustainability ecosystem, best practices and the practicalities of a successful
- Oversee all matters relating to administration and day to day management of the Centre: projects, stakeholder engagements, partners, grant development and management, staff, finances.
- Manages Centre staff, including remotely, to ensure quality assured delivery against programme objectives as well as the personal and professional development of
- Work with the team across LBS to ensure that all of Centre projects have contextually relevant and operationally efficient monitoring and evaluation plans that inform best practice internally and externally and to deliver robust
- Keep abreast of the latest global research, news and trends in education, development and country/client contexts to inform Centre strategy and programming;
- Formulate and socialize Centre Research Strategy; implement/execute and socialize findings.
- Report to the relevant oversight Boards on the health of the programme’s portfolio, flagging significant issues, as they arise and as appropriate, for
- Identify, call, meet with, and develop excellent relationships with targeted grantors, companies, alumni contacts, professional institutions, government agencies, and multilateral organizations as appropriate to identify opportunities for LBS Sustainability Centre.
- Develop / Execute comprehensive strategy for conducting market intelligence, product evaluations and benchmarking of competitors’ offerings. Monitor market environment and current changes and provide management reports and proposals to maintain the Centre’s
- Actively solicit RFPs and/or respond to unsolicited RFPs by developing proposals that accurately represent the School’s capabilities and meet the needs of the requesting organizations.
- Ensure the Center is run based on strong commercial
- Any other specific or ad-hoc duty to be assigned by the LBS Management Board.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Development Studies or related fields.
- A doctorate degree in related fields of study is an added advantage.
- Not compulsory.
- Minimum of Ten years (10) years’ experience working in a development organization, university, consulting/advisory firm, think-tank, or research institution.
- Experience in sustainability business development and/or project management in a medium or large size organization.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Significant professional experience in international development or consulting, and in education, including experience leading the design and delivery of education programmes and
- Significant experience working in long-term partnerships with stakeholders from various sectors
- Exceptional relationship-building and management skills especially with leaders in business, government and non-government
- A strong track record in complex, end to end, project
- Significant experience leading, developing and managing teams, including remotely and across
- Passion for education and sustainable development
- Competency in designing and delivering on major organizational
- Exceptional written communications and presentation
- Experience in analyzing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative data and drawing out key themes and policy
- Familiarity with research and evaluation
- Good network within the global education
- Experience in research, monitoring and evaluation design and
- Knowledge and/or experience in the role of non-state actors in sustainable
- Experience working on projects aimed at strengthening.
Application Closing Date
15th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “DS2O22 (Job Code)” as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
- LBS is an equal opportunity employer.