ActionAid (AA) Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, which is a global alliance of organisations working towards achieving a world without poverty and injustice in which every person enjoys the right to a life with dignity. As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America. Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Organizational Effectiveness
Reporting To: Country Director
Line Management: HROE Manager, Communications Coordinator, Information Technology Coordinator, Logistics Advisor, Board Liaison Advisor, Administrative Officer
- The Director, Organizational Effectiveness working closely with other Directorates, leads the development and implementation of the human resources and organizational development strategy that builds and sustains the human resource capacity and performance of ActionAid Nigeria leadership, staff and Board to deliver on the Country Strategic Paper.
- The post holder will be part of the Senior Management/Country Management Team of AAN that makes key strategic decisions and provide input to strategic plans.
- S/he will be responsible for the strategic management, development and management of all human resources at ActionAid Nigeria and also ensure organizational performance and effectiveness.
Strategic Planning and Development:
- Lead the development of both strategic and annual plans for Organizational Effectiveness directorate in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and specified planning guidelines.
- Lead the development of the Human resources and organizational development strategy in line with the Country Strategy Paper.
- Monitor the implementation of the annual plans and the Human resources and organizational development strategy.
Human Resource Management:
- Develop, implement and interpret Human Resource policies, procedures and systems and ensure consistency and harmony with the Global HR/OD framework, other organisational level policies and national labour legislation
- Develop and implement human resource plans that are aligned to country strategy, plans and priorities.
- Facilitate recruitment, selection, induction and orientation processes within the Affiliate
- Develop and implement performance management systems for all staff in the Affiliate including facilitating feedback and development planning processes
- Develop and implement remuneration policies and procedures and carry out regular reviews to ensure external competitiveness and internal equity
- Work with the Country Director, and other directorates in development and implementation of human resource strategies and plans.
- Develop and implement employee welfare and wellness services including medical schemes, insurance, security, work life balance.
- Develop and implement Human resource information systems, records and reports including frequent and periodic availability and accuracy of information thereof.
- Ensure the delivery of high quality and cost-efficient payroll, insurance, travel, procurement and other operational services.
- Lead, along with the Women’s Rights Programme Manager/Heads of Units, the Affiliate’s or International initiatives in developing and improving gender equality within HR/OD systems.
- Be the focal point and take the lead within the Affiliate for implementation of global and regional HR initiatives.
- Facilitate design and implementation of effective country organisational structures, which support agreed AAN decision making, authority and accountability approaches.
- Carry out continuous assessment of Leadership, Organisational and staff capacity and commitment to AAN Vision, Mission, Values, Country Strategy Paper and provide feedback to leadership, employees, and stakeholders
- Develop and implement programs for full employee engagement and participation in implementing country strategies, plans and priorities.
- Continuously assess organisational, inter-organisational and intra organisational linkages to develop and facilitate change initiatives required to ensure harmony and operational efficiency
- Participate in and/or facilitate Partner organisational and capacity assessment and development
- Participate in the Accountability, Learning and Planning Systems (ALPS) processes as they relate to the affiliate e.g. Participatory, Review and Reflection Processes (PRRPs), peer reviews, country appraisals
- Along with Programme directorate, carry out assessments of power relations within the Affiliate, develop and implement interventions for power sharing such as empowerment, engagement, involvement, and participation
- Develop and Implement programs to enhance ability of the Affiliate, all its constituent parts and partners ability to implement AAN Vision/mission, Country Strategy Paper and annual planning
- Develop, Promote, Facilitate and sustain an organisational culture and climate that promote AAN values, behaviour and attitudes, ALPS principles within the Affiliate, all its constituent parts and partners.
- Ensures the systems, processes and capacity exists across the organisation to improve strategic human resources, women’s leadership, and performance management
- Facilitate the process of resolution of individual and team conflicts, develop and implement systems for neutral handling of grievances interventions to ensure organisational harmony
- Be the focal person and take lead in implementing global and regional organisational development initiatives in the Affiliate.
- Strengthening Women’s forum to create a safe space for women and ensure sustainability in programming.
Logistics / Administration:
- Develop and implement vehicle management policies and procedures
- Coordinate travel arrangement for AAN staff, partners and visitors coming to Nigeria including visas and ticket purchases
- Facilitate vehicle purchase for AAN as well as coordinate vehicle registration, insurance, maintenance and other issues relating to vehicles.
- Coordinate the management of AAN fleet
- Develop and implement administrative policies and procedures necessary to ensure value for money in procurement of and utilisation of office services and goods
- Develop and implement office procedures systems and practices that promote organisation efficiency and care
- Supervise and coordinate the proper functioning of the facility management units.
Information Technology / Communications:
- Oversee the entire Information Technology (IT) Systems within ActionAid Nigeria
- Advise on appropriate ICT tools that supports the delivery of Country Strategy Paper
- Coordinate the transmission compliance and security of AA Nigeria data
- Oversee the development and implementation of innovative and effective communication and media strategies for ActionAid Nigeria
- Coordinate the management of documentation and publishing of all AAN manuals and publications.
- Facilitate capacity building of AAN Staff and its partners in understanding, documentation and communication of AAN’s thematic areas.
- Be the Focal person for the organisation on security issues
- Facilitate crisis management training for staff and relevant stakeholders
- Oversees staff security.
- Network with other INGO on security information and management and disseminate to staff
- Participate in Security Focal Persons teleconferences organised by the Global Safety and Security Lead.
- Participate in international and Regional HR/OD meetings/training.
- Participate in the international and Regional teams and projects.
- Internal Relationships: Country Director, Senior Management Team, Country Management Team & AAI team.
- External Relationships: CSOs, Partner Organizations & other relevant stakeholders.
- At least First Degree and Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities is essential
- Membership of CIPMN and relevant professional Institute is essential
- Specialisation in Human Resources Management is desirable.
- At least 10 years minimum working experience is essential
- 5 to 7 years HR/OD experience at Senior Management position, in a large organisation with experience in Human Resource planning, recruitment, design and implementation of progressive HR strategies, systems, procedures and practices is essential
- Good knowledge of National Labour laws and Employee Relations Systems is essential
- Proven experience in leading, supporting and motivating staff and teams is essential
- Experience in working with International development agencies in a similar position is desirable
- Understanding of gender issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equity within the organisation is essential.
Skill / Abilities:
- Excellent Management & Leadership skills
- Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages between staff, partners & stakeholders
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, documentation and presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Ability to think strategically
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent financial skills
- Ability and experience of working with different cultures and nationalities
- A strong understanding of human rights, women’s rights, and socio-economic justice.
Application Closing Date
25th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the Application Form below and send in an MS Word attachment to: Vacancy.Nigeria@actionaid.org using the Job Title and Location eg: “Director, Organizational Effectiveness, Abuja” as the subject of the email.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid is committed to preventing any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse (including child abuse and adult at-risk abuse) in line with our
- Child Safeguarding policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse; and Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse at Work Policy and Overarching
- SHEA and Safeguarding Policy; as well as our zero-tolerance approach to Safeguarding concerns.