Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Finance Manager (Re-advertisement)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno (with up to 40% field travel required)
Employment Type: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Field Finance Manager, the Deputy Finance Manager will guide the Northeast Programs in adhering to the compliance procedures, assist in managing finance functions in the deep field offices, support budget preparation, monitoring and forecasting, support accounting function, and ensure banking and cash management. They support management to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks and ensure compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, train, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Grants and Compliance Management:
- Assist Field Finance Manager of Northeast program to review monthly financial report and follow up with other departments for any corrective actions required.
- Work closely with the Field Finance Manager and other departments to ensure the Standard Operating Procedures for voucher redemption followed properly.
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries at the field level.
- Support the budget development and budget planning processes, including the development of internal budgeting guidelines, templates and tools, grant proposal development and budget modifications;
- Assist/Support the monitoring of grants’ performance, and work with budget holders to ensure that key processes and systems are in place to manage grant risk assessments, donor financial compliance and reporting process. Ensure grant budgets align with MC budgets and forecasts.
- Support the grant closeout process, including the coordination with different stakeholders (Finance, Ops, Programs, Grants, etc) on various deliverables in line with donor rules and regulations;
- Review, analyze and discuss with the program manager the budget vs actual reporting process for all grants.
- Support regular update/analysis of the BVAs and pipelines. Ensure monthly review of transactions for compliance and eligibility under grants;
- Provide training and orientation to staff and vouchers vendors in compliance, Finance, payments processes, systems and best practices.
- Assist the Field Finance Manager to enhance the efficiency of existing control system and ensure any identified compliance gap is corrected.
- Work closely with Roving Finance Officer to support Finance in the deep fields, make sure the weekly and monthly financial reports submitted on time to Maiduguri.
- Make sure the standard operating procedures for cash transfers to deep fields are followed.
- Review payment and other documents for accuracy complete and compliance with Mercy Corps’ policies, donor regulations and local laws
- Assist in the month-end accounting close process for Northeast program, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, navigator and all supporting documentation.
- Guide finance team in field offices on document retention requirements and provide regular verification to ensure that all financial documents are properly labelled, filed and stored in a clear and easily accessible manner following FFM
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Finance officers in the deep fields, and Roving Finance Officer
- Reports Directly To: Field Finance Manager
- Works Directly With: Compliance and Finance department in Abuja, program and operational Teams in Northeast Nigeria
- Knowledge and Experience
- Five or more years of compliance and finance experience is required.
- A university degree in finance, accounting or equivalent is required.
- Three years of experience in the finance and compliance department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Strong account and budgeting skills
- In-depth understanding of major donor rules, regulations, and implications on budgeting and budget monitoring.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in budget preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Knowledge of Hausa is preferred.
- Working experience in Northeast Nigeria a plus.
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skill and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- In particular, the successful candidate will dedicate up to 40% of his/her time travelling to locations such as Damboa, Dikwa, Ngala, Bama, Gwoza and other LGAs of Northeast program based on the program needs. As part of the field travel, the team members may occasionally be required to stay and work in a stressful and challenging environment with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times, and with irregular and longer working hours. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
30th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified Candidate should:
Click here to apply online