Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Deputy Country Director – Support
Duration: 24 Months
Start Date: 3rd January, 2021
- Nigeria is facing an unprecedented humanitarian crisis because of the ongoing conflict in the North-East of the country between the State and the non-State armed groups. With 1.8 million internally displaced people in the affected states (IOM, Displacement Tracking Matrix, October 2018) and 7.1 million people in need of humanitarian help (OCHA, Nigeria : Humanitarian Response Plan, 2019-2021), it is one of the gravest crisis in the world.
- The Nigeria mission has been opened in 2010 by ACF-US and came under ACF-FR management from January 1, 2019. ACF Nigeria is currently undertaking the following activities: Food Security and Livelihoods Nutrition and Health, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene. The mission consists of a team of 500+ national employees and about 50 international employees.
- In addition to a coordinating base in Abuja the capital city, there are three state offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri and Dutse and four sub bases including Monguno, Potiskum, Bade and Damasak.
- Abuja is calm and there is now curfew for ACF staff in Abuja. All Abuja based expats are assigned permanent rooms in the guesthouse. ACF has a well-equipped Gym in Abuja Guest House for the use of staff. There are 4 Janitors available during week days in the guesthouse. They are responsible for cleaning all the rooms and laundry of clothes.
- As Abuja is a capital with a large number of international development and humanitarian organizations are having their coordination offices. In the city, there are all sort of restaurants in which you can find the variety of foreign foods along with local foods. Abuja has many shopping malls where one can buy easily any sort of staff and daily need based grocery etc.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team of the mission and under the management of the Country Director, you will provide leadership and management for all the Support Services functions and systems (Logistics, Finance and HR & Administration Management) within the mission and aim at supporting the Programs implementation and risk management mitigation.
- You will be in charge of coordinating the definition and implementation of resource management strategies (human, financial and logistical) of the mission.
- You will ensure the relevance and coherence of HR, financial and logistical strategies and the respect of ACF standards and procedures in order to allow the development of the mission in the best working conditions.
- You will ensure the proper use of tools and develop an analysis that allows for quality management of programs by maximizing available resources and avoiding financial, legal, misappropriation or abuse risks.
More specifically your mission will be to:
- Coordinate the support teams and ensure their interaction with the program teams
- Facilitate the strategic contribution of the support functions to the development of the country strategy and action plan.
- Ensure the contribution of support functions in the development and monitoring of projects/programs
- Contribute to the implementation of a risk prevention and management system, the reporting of complaints and abuse of authority, the mission’s anti-corruption and anti-fraud policy
- Facilitate the internal and external communication of the mission
- Manage the support HoDs team and create a positive and motivating work dynamic within the national Log/Fin/HR teams
- Support the Country Director on cross-cutting issues of the Organization
- Contribute to business continuity
- You have at least 5 years of experience as a member of a management team in the humanitarian sector with a strong background in finance, HR and logistics. You must have an expertise in current safety and security practices and issues affecting aid work globally.
- You have experience working in a multi-cultural environment with comprehensive knowledge of the context and challenges of operating in Nigeria. You are known for your diplomatic and sensitive to cross-cultural issues, your capacity to work under pressure and your creativity. You are an excellent communicator and have specifics negotiation skills.
- You have a good understanding of risk management, a strong analytical and practical problem-solving skill, and a strong supervisory ability.
- To be fluent in English (written and spoken) is mandatory.
Why Join Us:
- This position is a real opportunity to strengthen various skills as you will handle multiple projects in different areas and manage large-scale activities in the whole region. Challenges concern the volume of staff and activities to lead but also the difficulty linked to the unpredictable and volatile security context.
Conditions of Employment
- 12 months fixed term contract under French legislation.
Retribution and Benefits:
- Monthly gross salary from 2 735 to 3185 € upon experience
- Per diem and living allowance: 203€ + 312€ net, field paid.
- + 150€ of monthly gross salary as country allowance.
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
- + Child allowance capped to 4 children.
- 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- + 20 RnR per year.
- + 215 € at each RnR period (averagely every 12 weeks).
- Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference.
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online