Code for Africa is the continent’s largest federation of independent civic technology and data journalism laboratories, which build digital democracy solutions giving citizens unfettered access to actionable information that empowers them to make informed decisions and that strengthen civic engagement for improved public governance and accountability.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief Financial Officer
Job type: Full-time
- Are you a financial mind who wants to help drive change on the continent?
- Code for Africa (CfA) has an immediate vacancy for a full-time Deputy Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join our Secretariat team.
- The position is based at one of our hubs in Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. We’re also open to exceptional applicants from elsewhere in Africa.
- Candidates must have demonstrable experience in accounting and financial processes.
- CfA is a nine-year-old pan-African network of digital democracy and journalism technology labs, registered as a public benefit non-profit organisation that has full-time staff in 21 African and European countries.
- The headquarters are in South Africa. Our Secretariat team supports the entire organisation and all of its programmes, overseeing operations and governance, as well as handling all financial and HR matters.
- The successful candidates will work as part of a multinational and multilingual team that works across a variety of programmes and projects.
About the Role
- The successful candidates will join CfA’s small core management team in the Secretariat that is responsible for all financial and payroll systems that support our 80+ full-time staff and multi-million dollar project portfolio to achieve their best potential.
- As Deputy CFO, you will report directly to the CFO. You will be responsible for implementing CfA’s financial policies and financial systems, ensuring processes and procedures run smoothly, and that your team diligently manages the organisation’s resources.
- You will also be primarily responsible for drafting donor financial forecasts and reports, and will assist the CFO with the drafting of monthly management financial reports.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Lead the preparation and timely issuance of timely and clear budgets, financial forecasts, monthly / quarterly statements, partner / donor financial reports and annual audits.
- Advise the Executive Committee (ExCo) team with insights / recommendations on potential changes to improve operational efficiencies.
- Oversee working capital and cash flow management, including reporting cash forecasts.
- Assess and manage any third-party partners/vendors to which accounting or other finance functions have been outsourced.
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Assess and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Lead and mentor the existing finance team as well as oversee and manage their overall performance
- Timely, proactive and clear communication on financial strategy and operations.
- Proactively drive fiscal literacy amongst CfA managers, to improve institutional management of financial systems and resources.
- Proactively manage vendor and partner / donor relationships and expectations, with clear communication and robust records.
Required – minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, MBA and / or CPA a plus
- At least five (5) years of managerial experience in a finance function
- Proven financial analysis and financial reporting ability
- Sound understanding and prior experience of working with an international NGO
- Proven experience and ability to provide support, guidance and training to financial and non-financial colleagues
- Proficiency in accounting software and office practices
- Experience in multi-currency accounting
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with good prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work with minimal instruction in a teamwork environment
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong organisational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- High professional standards and ethics
Preferred – candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- 7 – 10 years of managerial experience in a finance function
- Experience of working in cross-cultural and complex environments
- Experience working in a digital-first environment (i.e. proficiency Google Suit, Xero, Slack and other digital platforms)
Language and Location Requirements:
- Location: Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal or South Africa. Exceptional candidates from elsewhere in Africa will be considered.
- Languages: English
- Preferred but not required: Arabic, French, KiSwahili or any other major language spoken in Africa.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques / technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidly evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.
Application Closing Date
1st December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online