International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Database Officer (DTM)
SVN No.: SVN 2021 134
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer of Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the development and implementation of DTM databases and application systems.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Evaluate the current Information Management Systems, obtain the requirements from the DTM operations team, understand the operational system in place, and analyze the workflow and existing standalone databases / applications to understand the scope of the Information Management.
- Develop a comprehensive data management system with effective data collection, storage and sharing workflows and effective measures for implementing data protection and data governance mechanisms.
- Contribute to the development of a comprehensive Information Management System that manages the workflow, information and documentation involved in the various DTM Data collection and management processes based on the requirements.
- As part of the Biometric Registration and Verification System (Brave) development team, contribute to the development of the modules and provide user support in coordination with the Global DTM Support team.
- Support the Extract Transform and Load (ETL) process for data collected from the various data collection processes and contribute to the development of analysis processing services to be used with Business Intelligence tools.
- Prepare detailed technical documentation and conduct the training for the system administrators / managers.
- Assist in preparing user manuals and conducting training programmes for the users.
- Attend technical and information-sharing meetings regarding the progress of designing, development and implementation of the applications.
- Ensure the implementation of IOM ITC Standards, policies and guidelines, in particular with regards to the databases and information systems being followed and implemented.
- Ensure the required performance of the developed applications to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruptions.
- Monitor the standard development, quality control, collaboration and source management processes during the development stage and provide the required technical documentation to facilitate the continuity of the solution management.
- Recruit, manage and train, as needed, database assistants and data entry clerks to ensure the quality of data entered into IOM databases.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering / Information Technology with two years of professional experience in windows and web-based application development; or University degree in the above fields with four years of professional experience in windows and web-based application development.
- Experience in cooperate business application development for process flow management;
- Experience in MS SQL, C#, VB.net application development and data management is required;
- Exten sive knowledge in Microsoft Applications and Microsoft Dynamics Certificate is an advantage.
- In-depth knowledge in database and software development, MS SQL, ASP.NET, C#, Microsoft development tools, open-source tools;
- Up-to-date knowledge on the solution development and management;• Up-to-date knowledge of cloud computing and use of various tools and environment for application development and hosting;
- Thorough understanding in cloud environments and tools for data systems.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
- For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of one of the IOM Official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
- Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
- For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Application Closing Date
22nd June, 2021. 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- No late applications will be accepted
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.