World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Data Manager
Ref No: 2106338
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 2 years
Objectives of the Programme
- The objective of the unit is to operate WHO data management and M&E activities and provide evidence driven information for actions aimed at supporting the Country to: Ensure availability of quality, timely, and complete information that guides the health emergency information and Risk Assessment Monitor achievement of recommended performance indicators for EWARS and IDSR highlighted in the EWARS Guidelines and Ethiopia’s Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) strategy.
- Provide evidences through the timely utilization of different data available and guide the program.
Description of Duties
- Compile, collect and data cleaning of respective reports from all programmes Manage and monitor the central level database; Prepare and design relevant data analysis Collaborate with the counter-part and stakeholders for periodic data compilation and validation Assist in production of other data summaries, special reports, publications or other communications to meet the ongoing requirement of relevant Unit, or as required by the MOH and other professional staff Act as a liaison for data information Support Management Team and other related parties to prepare analysis related documents as needed Assist and provide support, including appropriate training to the relevant staff in managing and analyzing data.
- Organize the data for public access (web-based application, email/surveillance bulletin) Ensure proper safety, storage and periodic back up of all data in cloud and hard disk.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required and assigned by supervisor and senior management.
- Essential: Completion of Secondary School Education with Certificate training in data management related field.
- Desirable: Degree in Biostatistics, / Physical / Social Sciences or a relevant Degree with strong data analysis and management component.
- Essential: 10 years of experience in the field of data management / health information/statistics, data analyses and management; familiarity with government structure and procedures.
- Desirable: Experience in data management in WHO or another UN agency an asset.
- Strong analytical skills to identify critical issues and knowledge of data base system, image processing, mapping, web technology, geographic information and related matters;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Knowledge and practical experience of GIS software and other specialized applications as well as familiarity with the latest technological developments related to field and web applications;
- Ability to work independently and in team setting
- Ability to work in harmony with national/international staff of WHO and Ministry of Health
- Ability to prepare good presentations and write clear reports.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of Langue locale.
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at NGN 12,007,619 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
Application Closing Date
16th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
- Important Notice: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.