Country Director at Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Job Vacancy & Recruitment 2021. Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Country Director in Nigeria. Danish Refugee Council (DRC), and its Humanitarian Disarmament and Peace building technical unit – the Danish Demining Group (DDG), has had an operational presence in Nigeria since 2015. DRC Nigeria is the largest DRC country mission in the West Africa region and one of the largest DRC country missions globally. Currently, DRC delivers life-saving assistance and protection to vulnerable, conflict-affected populations including internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities in the areas of armed violence reduction, humanitarian mine action, livelihoods, nutrition and food security, protection, shelter and non-food items (NFI) and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in 30+ Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in northeast Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Director
Contract type: Expatriate contract
About the Job
- We are looking to recruit an experienced, highly- qualified and enthusiastic professional to provide overall representation, management and coordination of the country mission, while ensuring compliance DRC’s Operations Handbook.
- The Country Director will be based in Abuja but will be expected to travel throughout the country to visit programs and at the regional office for strategic reviews/ meetings.
- This position is a senior one, requiring a strong previous experience in a similar position. This position also requires strong ability in safety and safeguarding. This position also requires a full professional proficiency in English language.
- Under the authority of the Regional Director, the Country Director is the person ultimately accountable in country for all aspects of DRC work.
- This role will be expected to lead and consolidate DRC programming and impact while overseeing the efficient use of resources. The Country Director will be also responsible to ensure that the organizational set up is adapted to the context of operations.
- This role is eventually expected to be strong in management. The Country Director should be able to delegate specific duties as necessary while maintaining global oversight and accountability.
Your Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent DRC to authorities, donors, partners, and in selected co-ordination forums
- Strengthen DRC’s position nationally and regionally
- Ensure that DRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors
Direct managerial oversight and support:
- Ensure that the Senior Management Team (SMT) have clear and realistic performance based management goals
- Overall management of the operation and direct manager for senior staff members. This includes coaching, ensuring co-ordination between managers, recruiting, and development of staff
- Frequent travel to the field offices for direct operational support and representation
- Ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement.
Fundraising and Advocacy:
- As the majority of the fundraising is done locally, the Country Director will lead the process of applying for funding and broadening the funding basis in a challenging funding environment
- The Country Director will lead his/her team in writing concept papers, project proposals and budgets in line with the approved country strategy;
- Maintain high quality exchanges with the Regional Office team and mobilize the country team to participate to regional project and strategies.
- Lead in the team’s advocacy in all DRC key messages.
Security and Safety:
- Be accountable for ensuring that DRC country program is delivered in a safe and secure manner
- Provide overall accountability for security, including development of and ensuring adherence to security procedures, monitoring of the security situation, analyzing and provision of recommendations
- Together with the Head of Support Services, provide overall budget monitoring, financial management and expenses control including compliance with minimum DRC and donor requirements and ensuring that necessary systems are in place
- Manage the resources allocated effectively and transparently by respecting and meeting all legal requirements in country
- Oversee finance and administrative services in the Programs
- Support the implementation of ERP system and follow up
- Together with the HR team, provide leadership support to staff and promote best practices in human resources management
- Provide coaching and counseling advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity
- Organize regular meetings with the senior management team and all staff for the purpose of exchanging information, coordination and learning
- Ensure that the country senior management team is effective, mutually supporting and sufficiently involved in decision making
- Lead the development and update of the program strategy, within DRC’s overall regional and global strategic frameworks
- Lead the development of the program within the strategic objectives and not being constrained by the current limitations of existing programming
- Ensure that DRC standard regulations and operational procedures (Code of Conduct, DRC Management handbooks, HAP standards etc.) are followed
Accountability and Quality:
- Be accountable for ensuring that programs comply with the organizational quality and accountability commitments
- Guided by the Program Handbook, continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthening the effort to document the impact of activities and our presence
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, International Development, Economics or other relevant field)
- Minimum 8 years’ relevant work experience in emergency contexts for a humanitarian agency or similar
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in people management
- Proven leadership skills
- Proven experience managing large and complex humanitarian operations
- Experience in financial and safety management
- Full professional proficiency in English (daily working language)
- Experience in representing a large and leading international organization to donors, external partners and authorities
- Experience with networking, advocacy and coordination
- Work related experience from the region/country
- Experience with managing Change
- Professional proficiency in French
Skills & Qualities:
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills is a must
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
- Contract length: 12 Months
- Level: D
- Designation of Duty Station: Accompanied Family Duty Station
- Start date: As soon as possible
Application Closing Date For Country Director at Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Job Vacancy & Recruitment 2021
11th April, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online