Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant for the Development of Marketing and Communication Materials for BASICS-II Project
Reference Code: NG6299
Employment Type: Contract
- CRS is implementing the Development of Commercial Seed Entrepreneur Component of a five-year Building an Economically Sustainable and Integrated Cassava Seed System, Phase 2 (BASICS-II) which was awarded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and its partners in May 2020. BASICS-II will consolidate prior investments in BASICS-I in Nigeria, led by the CGIAR Research Program on Roots, Tubers and Bananas (CRP-RTB); and its ongoing sister project in Tanzania called Building an Economically Sustainable Seed System for Cassava in Tanzania (BEST).
- The project aims to transform the cassava seed sector by promoting the dissemination of improved varieties thereby creating a community of seed entrepreneurs across the cassava value chain. The project is focused on Nigeria and Tanzania with spin off to other African countries. The project is nurturing the development of sustainable Early Generation Seed systems through public-private partnerships and link these seed systems to networks of entrepreneurs and processors that are ready to multiply, distribute, and sell clean planting materials (Seeds) of new and improved varieties emanating from linked breeding systems.
- Specifically, CRS will identify, select and provide technical assistance to the seed entrepreneurs, ensure field certification and eventual sales of materials to farmers. The project hopes to work with at least 80 seed entrepreneurs, providing quality planting materials to farmers in a timely manner.
- An important aspect of the project activities is effective communication to increase coverage and patronage of the village seed entrepreneurs who are producing and marketing certified seed to farmers. The project has carried out a market study to understand the cassava planting material market and identify the drivers of the market. It is hoped that knowledge unveiled by the study will feed into the development of marketing communication strategy and advertisement of Cassava seed entrepreneur’s activities and the project in general. The communication strategy roll-out is to ultimately lead to increased demand for planting materials in and around the project catchment area.
- The project is hereby inviting prospective marketing communication consultants to apply for the strategy design and development of innovative and effective content for radio jingles, banners and posters, promotional bags and web marketing, among others.
Purpose of the Consultancy
- To design strategy and develop innovative and effective marketing and communication content for cassava seeds with particular focus on farmers in Kogi State and update existing content for Benue State. This is expected to achieve the BASICS-II Project outcomes that farmers with access to affordable, quality-assured seeds of the cassava varieties in demand by local food and processor markets and raise incomes of cassava growers and seed entrepreneurs.
Scope of Work / Duties and Responsibilities
- Review of the report of BASICS Project Market Study conducted in April 2021.
- Design of Marketing Communication Strategy for communicating and marketing cassava seeds among farmers in Kogi state
- Design, testing of marketing materials and roll-out of communication messages for radio jingles, banners and posters/handbills and promotional bags to implement the Marketing Communication Strategy.
- Strategy document for communicating and marketing cassava seeds among farmers in Kogi state
- Content/messages for the implementation of marketing and communication strategy in Kogi and Benue States
- Design layout of messages for the radio jingles, banners and posters/handbills and promotional bags
- Documented evidence of Testing of marketing materials and jingles.
Timelines and Progress Reports:
- The consultant is responsible for carrying out each of the above-mentioned tasks and produce the deliverables as described above working in consultation with CRS Marketing and Communications Manager. The consultant will report to CRS Senior Program Manager.
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for:
- Providing the link with the BASICS-II team
- Planning and coordinating the Briefing Meeting;
- Approval of finalized Terms of Reference including any revisions to the scope of work as well as the final structure of the products;
- Coordinating the activities of the consultancy; and
- Coordinating the approval of products submitted.
Qualifications and Experience
- An established track record in marketing communications, outreach, marketing and branding
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, and demonstrated experience working with a variety of stakeholders
- A minimum of five years’ relevant professional work experience.
- The consultant must have demonstrable experience drafting similar marketing communications strategies/content with a track record of successful implementation.
- The consultant will be free to work independently from any base location, providing his/her own work equipment and space. The total time required for the work involved is estimated to be 10 days.
Fees, Expenses & Payment Arrangement
- Associated transport, accommodation, and per diem during the duration of the assignment as per CRS approved rates will be covered.
- Reasonable costs for courier services, purchase of reference materials, etc. will be reimbursed in the final payment upon presentation of a list of expenses and the submission of acceptable reference materials and receipts and/or invoice.
Payment will be a lump sum based on CRS consultancy rates and will be made in two phases:
- 50% on submission of the draft report;
- 50% on submission of all final products.
Note: CRS will deduct and remit to the Federal Inland Revenue (FIR) a 5% withholding Tax from the total consultancy fees in accordance with the Nigerian Tax Law.
Application Closing Date
Thursday, 5:00 pm: 27th January, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) along with their updated CV detailing personal profile, skills, competencies and suitability for the assignment as well as readiness for immediate short-term consultancy plus a copy of such previous work to: email@example.com using the Applicant Name and Reference Code as the subject of the email.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Any submission after the deadline or with the wrong email subject may be disqualified.
- Only qualified persons will be contacted and invited for the screening.