The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Liaison Office Assistant (CLO Assistant) – Employees of Mission
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-087
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: FP – 0101 7
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: FP-7
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FS is 07. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Employees of Mission – All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs.
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Basic Function of the Position:
- The CLO Assistant supports the CLO Coordinator in performing duties and activities that enhance the Consulate community, in all aspects of the execution of trips and tours, as well as in planning events and community activities.
- The CLO Assistant serves as a valuable resource for community members by responding to inquiries (or communicating them to the Coordinator as appropriate), and assisting the CLO Coordinator in developing a wide variety of information resources. This is a non sensitive position.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of one (1) year in day-to-day office operations and equipment in a professional international organization is required.
- Working knowledge of computer systems, word/excel/publisher/power point is required. Must know how to plan and coordinate special events. Needs to understand American and Nigeria culture and possess sensitivity to cross cultural issues.
- Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Good working knowledge Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work autonomously, maintain confidentiality, negotiate with vendors/service providers, establish contacts, foster on-going, long-term relationships, make people feel comfortable in unfamiliar surroundings, draft letters, flyers, and information pamphlets is required.
- Excellent Interpersonal skills, as well as ability to prioritize, organize a large amount of highly varied information is required.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
USD 38,056 / NGN 6,455,212 Yearly.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
14th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
- For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-461-4000, [email protected]