United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Communication for Development Officer
Job No: 546754
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Communication for Development (C4D)
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the direct supervision and general guidance of the Communication for Development (C4D) Specialist, C4D Officer provides technical and operational support by administering, implementing, monitoring and/or evaluating a variety of C4D initiatives and activities to promote community engagement and participation, and measurable behavioural and social change/mobilization, requiring the application of technical and theoretical skills and thorough knowledge of organizational goals, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to complete tasks.
Tasks / Responsibilities
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities:
- Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative information and data to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of Sections’ annual plan at BFO level.
- Collect, synthesize, draft and/or organize materials and related documentations for evidence-based C4D strategies and plans to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results
- Assess, select and/or recommend appropriate information and materials for C4D initiatives verifying accuracy and quality for dissemination.
- Monitor and assess the impact of C4D strategies and activities on the FO and UNICEF goals to achieve measureable behavioral and social change resulting in the improvement of children’s rights and wellbeing. Contribute substantively to the submission of qualitative report/synthesis of results for development planning and improvement at Field and Country Office levels.
Support the implementation of C4D activities:
- Collaborate and/or consult with internal and external partners to provide operational and technical support to research, develop, and produce evidence-based strategies and test, produce and use quality C4D materials, organize events and activities to ensure community engagement and participation, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change.
- Provide technical, administrative and logistical support and background materials to carry out C4D strategies and activities and recommend operational strategies, approaches, plans, methods and procedures to ensure community engagement and participation, and optimum outreach and impact.
- Assess and recommend potential contacts, networks, resources and tools to support maximum impact and outreach of C4D initiatives.
- Follow up and monitor the production of C4D materials to ensure technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audience (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc).
- Collect, assess and organize information for budget planning and management of programme funds and prepare documentations and related materials for financial planning for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
Support risk communication and demand generation activities in outbreaks and emergencies:
- Provide support to the state on RCCE activities including support the institutionalization of community engagement in particular reference to Covid-19.
- Provide support to the states and LGAs RCCE intervention in i.e. cholera, polio, and other outbreaks and emergency response.
- Provide technical and coordination support for social risk communication and demand generation interventions and contribute in strengthening community engagement platforms.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building:
- Build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with national and international civil society organisations, community groups, leaders and other critical partners in the community and civil society to reinforce cooperation through engagement, empowerment and self-determination and to pursue opportunities for greater advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging to enhance C4D outreach and contribution to programmatic outcomes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners/users, and disseminate products to key audiences including partners and donors.
- Support the organization, administration and implementation of capacity building initiatives, including partnerships with training and academic institutions, to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners across programme sectors in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programmes/projects. Develop training materials for training activities, and revise and update them as necessary.
To qualify as an Advocate For Every Child, You Will Have
- A University Degree from a recognized university in one of the following fields: Social and Behavioral Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Education, Communication, Public Relations or another relevant technical field is required
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Background/familiarity with emergency context is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local languages at the duty station are required.
For Every Child, You Demonstrate
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA)
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others.
Application Closing Date
20th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process