Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cleaner
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation.
- With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The cleaner is responsible for cleaning and tidying the Mercy Corps facilities as required.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Maintain the cleanliness of the interior areas of the office and guesthouses including rooms and villas, kitchen facilities, common areas and bathrooms; sweep, dusting, washing, garbage disposal, etc. in accordance with the set schedule.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the exterior areas of the offices and guesthouses including sweeping, watering of the plants, gardening, garbage disposal, etc.
- Do the laundry of office and guesthouses (clothes, curtains, sheets, towels, etc.). employees will be responsible for cleaning their undergarments and this is out of the scope of work for cleaners.
- Identify needed repairs in the office, guesthouse and premises and alert Operations Officer for action.
- Assist the cook in preparing and serving meals as required.
- Ensure an adequate supply of drinking water and cleaning materials are maintained all the time.
- Assist the Operations team in all other office or guesthouse related activities as required.
- Be available to help the Operations team to organize and plan for meetings and gatherings.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Personal Hygiene: all staff working in the office or guesthouse must have very clean hands and nails. Wash hands thoroughly with soap before doing any work. All working clothes used must be clean.
- Kitchen Hygiene: all working surfaces must be kept clean and tidy at all times and floors must be cleaned daily.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly to: Operations Officer
- Works Directly with: All staff
Knowledge and Experience
- Interested candidates should possess an SSCE / GCE / NECO qualification
- Minimum of 1-year working experience as a Clear/HouseKeeper
- Responsible, trustworthy, punctual, and clean.
- The ability to communicate in English and Hausa is desired.
- Must have initiative and work largely unsupervised.
- Understands the importance of cleanliness and hygiene
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Strong commitment to teamwork and accountability.
- Willingness to learn and to be trained
- Good spoken and written English and knowledge of local language Hausa, Kanuri etc.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
27th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Only Indigenes of Damaturu are encouraged to apply for this role.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
- In your statement, you are encouraged to discuss any relevant experience and demonstrate your interest. Your application will be reviewed by the Mercy Corps team and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly for interviews.
- Mercy Corps employees represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.