The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chauffeur
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-093
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Series/Grade: LE – 1015 4
Promotion Potential: LE-4
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is AA. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 75% or less.
- Under the supervision of the Motor pool Supervisor, the incumbent operates a variety of armored and non-armored motor vehicles to transport Mission personnel, including VIP visitors, TDY staff, delegations and field trips.
- S/he performs routine preventive maintenance, cleaning of vehicle and completes trip ticket to notate each trip taken on their shift, including mileage, fuel, condition of vehicle, and passenger details.
- S/he may be required to drive Chief of Mission, Deputy Chief of Mission and Consul General.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional driving experience is required
- Through knowledge of Lagos and other Nigeria cities, as well as good knowledge of automotive, mechanical, safety and maintenance practices.
- Must be familiar with local traffic laws, traffic laws, traffic patterns, and locations of various government offices
- Completion of Secondary School or received High School Diploma
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language(s) listed.
- Limited knowledge Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required.
- Limited knowledge Speaking/Reading/Writing any local language is require
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work on rotational shift schedule, as well as ability to drive carefully and cautiously in heavy and chaotic traffic situation are required.
- Ability to recognize a hazardous or dangerous situation and take appropriate action is required.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the phone and/or by radio and follow instructions.
- Must have a valid class B or D Nigerian drivers’ license
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN3,889,576 / USD26,915 Annually.
Application Closing Date
23rd September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s Licence
- For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-460-4000, HRNigeria@state.gov