The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: The Initial appointment is for three (3) years
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist.
- The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities.
- The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed, such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists.
- He/She will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agri business Core Competency.
He/She will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture in relation to the markets and vice versa.
- Devise methods and procedures to conduct different types of market surveys and value chain assessments.
- Create, as well as use various econometric modeling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behavior to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Develop business plans for project and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector, and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building the capacity of national programs in research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in per reviewed IF journals and others (e.g., technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contribution to resource mobilization through the development of concept notes and proposals in collaboration with others.
- Perform any other job–related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D.in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- He/she will demonstrate experience of at least three (3) years in markets economic studies relating to agricultural issues, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of market studies.
- Competence in the development of socio–economic and market surveys.
- Ability to perform a thoughtful, critical analysis of market economics–related data.
- Conversant with tools and approaches applied in market studies.
- Knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
- Familiarity with statistical software used in market studies.
- Track record of peer–reviewed publications in market–related journals.
- Experience with resource mobilization.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi–disciplinary team in a cross–cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, and team–building skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub–Saharan Africa is an added advantage.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
Not Specified. (The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found )
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- Applications must include a Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for,
- Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- Names and Addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resources”
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.